• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Please reply with your best rate'...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Please reply with your best rate'...

I have seen a few dev roles recently with a 'Please reply with your best rate' comment by the pimp in place of the usual rate range (or the ubiquitous 'market rates' placeholder).
    What gives?, looks like an attempt by the agency to see how much of the margin they can keep by effectively looking for the least expensive resource (whats the minimum you'll work for...), needless to say won't be applying as I would rather not encourage this trend!

Your using the wrong idea of "best". I usually give them the best i.e. highest, rate I've ever had, plus 10% or so. Sometimes they cough up, sometimes they negotiate me down a bit, sometimes they run a mile
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's called capitalism. If you're happy with £350 why should they tell you it pays £550? They can either keep a bigger margin, or they can pass on savings to the client who may be choosing between multiple agents, or both.

If I was advertising a role I wouldn't say what I wanted to pay either - what I'm willing to pay would depend on a combination of what the applicants are worth, and what I can get away paying them
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Your using the wrong idea of "best". I usually give them the best i.e. highest, rate I've ever had, plus 10% or so. Sometimes they cough up, sometimes they negotiate me down a bit, sometimes they run a mile
        I assume from the pimps perspective the less you quote the better it is (for them anyway!).

Comment

That would be my approach. My best rate is the best I can get. From there, it's a negotiation task.
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
            I assume from the pimps perspective the less you quote the better it is (for them anyway!).
            Unless they are on a fixed margin, and the client knows what the agency are paying you. Which would be nice.
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's called capitalism. If you're happy with £350 why should they tell you it pays £550?
              Because with £350 he will be as opposed to with £550.

And for £1000 he will be like that

Oh wait, did you say capitalism?

Comment

Indeed, he means "reply with my best rate"
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X