• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changed my mind on renewal - how to play

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed my mind on renewal - how to play

Been in the current contract for five and a bit months. The contract runs till the end of this month. To say the project is a complete mess is an understatement, and it’s getting to a point where ClientCo needs people to blame. I am thinking this is a good time to leave as things will only get worse. My role is such that I know I am indispensable, at least in the medium term. But it's an insane place and I value my mental peace more than an extension.

The problem is, for a long time I wasn’t able to decide whether to renew or not, so when the agent asked me 2 weeks back, I said I’d stay only if I get a rate hike to compensate for the stress.

I haven’t heard anything since. They say it’s with ClientCo resourcing people. But now I am thinking stuff the rate hike, I’m going. So how do I play this politely and professionally? I haven’t had any discussion about renewal directly with the client.

Do I tell the agent that I have changed my mind (for personal/family reasons) and don’t wish to renew?
    Do I also tell the client the same thing?

For professional reasons, this would be a good time to tell the client now - as it's just about 3 weeks to the month end.

Thanks in advance.

Tell the agent, tell the client. No need to give a reason, it's just "time for you to move on" or "you've taken things as far as they can go". No-one's indispensable. If you appear to be - it's the client's problem, not yours.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Tell the agent, tell the client. No need to give a reason, it's just "time for you to move on" or "you've taken things as far as they can go". No-one's indispensable. If you appear to be - it's the client's problem, not yours.
      Not even that. 'Sorry I have another contract'. End of. 'Should have got that renewal sorted earlier'
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

say

Originally posted by bf2 View Post
        Been in the current contract for five and a bit months. The contract runs till the end of this month. To say the project is a complete mess is an understatement, and it’s getting to a point where ClientCo needs people to blame. I am thinking this is a good time to leave as things will only get worse. My role is such that I know I am indispensable, at least in the medium term. But it's an insane place and I value my mental peace more than an extension.

The problem is, for a long time I wasn’t able to decide whether to renew or not, so when the agent asked me 2 weeks back, I said I’d stay only if I get a rate hike to compensate for the stress.

I haven’t heard anything since. They say it’s with ClientCo resourcing people. But now I am thinking stuff the rate hike, I’m going. So how do I play this politely and professionally? I haven’t had any discussion about renewal directly with the client.

Do I tell the agent that I have changed my mind (for personal/family reasons) and don’t wish to renew?
        Do I also tell the client the same thing?

For professional reasons, this would be a good time to tell the client now - as it's just about 3 weeks to the month end.

Thanks in advance.
        Say your not cut out to be a contractor and have accepted a easy permie job

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Not even that. 'Sorry I have another contract'. End of. 'Should have got that renewal sorted earlier'
          This.

If they'd sorted out an increase earlier, you wouldn't have changed your mind so would stay.

Walk.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

You don't need to say you have another contract (unless you have already got one) why tell them more than you have to, I would do along the lines of an email to both saying:

All,

Unfortunately I am no longer in a position to extend my contract beyond the current end date, however I will ensure that a handover is in place to keep the project on track, if this takes me beyond the end of the contract I am sure we can come to some mutually beneficial arrangement on a week by week basis
            This way you basically have good will with the Client and Agent, and then you have a weekly rolling contract while you look for your next one.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This. Don't forget to flounce.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              You don't need to say you have another contract (unless you have already got one) why tell them more than you have to....
              Rather touchy feely for a blunt northerner. I will schedule some MTFU lessons with sensei MF.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                You don't need to say you have another contract (unless you have already got one) why tell them more than you have to, I would do along the lines of an email to both saying:

This way you basically have good will with the Client and Agent, and then you have a weekly rolling contract while you look for your next one.
                ^ This

I have decided to decline your offer of an extension. Simple as that. No need for anything else.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  ^ This

I have decided to decline your offer of an extension. Simple as that. No need for anything else.
                  Both true of course, but it is highly likely the next question is "Why not?", so unless you are prepared to say something passive aggressive like "I don't have to tell you my reasons" or stay completely silent/hang up on the agent, then you might as well prepare something extra to say, whether it is the truth or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Both true of course, but it is highly likely the next question is "Why not?", so unless you are prepared to say something passive aggressive like "I don't have to tell you my reasons" or stay completely silent/hang up on the agent, then you might as well prepare something extra to say, whether it is the truth or not.
                    Undoubtedly. Be prepared to discuss the situation like an adult Does that require some kind of preparation ??

In terms of actually telling the agent and the client, in the first instance, there is no need to go into detail. Why go through the whole 'the dog has dandruff and I need to spend more time with him' scenario.

Depending on how much you like the client or what the relationship is like, surely entering into a discussion should you be asked the question is not something you need to plan for. If that happens, tell them the real reason why you're not renewing !!

Oh, and to the OP, 'indispensable' is an over used word in contracting. Next time you pass a graveyard, have a look around. It's full of people who were indispensable in one way or another.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X