• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is a key railway line?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a key railway line?

UK storms destroy key railway line
    BBC News - UK storms destroy railway line and leave thousands without power

Its Dawlish! I assumed it was Guildford->Waterloo or SWindon->Paddington at first.....

It's key because a)it is of great historical significance b)it is the mainline to the south west. EVERY train goes on that line, unlike other lines which can easily be diverted. Only the south-west, but losing your only decent train route for several months isn't good.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That railway line is now extra "scenic".

Bet that won't be a trivial fix.

Comment

Shame. Beautiful to travel.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Shame. Beautiful to travel.
          Fair enough. But that hardly makes it key....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's key because a)it is of great historical significance b)it is the mainline to the south west. EVERY train goes on that line, unlike other lines which can easily be diverted. Only the south-west, but losing your only decent train route for several months isn't good.
            No-one relies on the train. When I go to Wales the train ticket is same cost as petrol for me. So when I take the twins up I save a shed load by using the car. Trains are way too expensive....

Comment

If it's so key wtf it was build right next to the water front?

Did the owners of the house near it object a lot because the view was ruined?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AtW again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  UK storms destroy key railway line
                  BBC News - UK storms destroy railway line and leave thousands without power

Its Dawlish! I assumed it was Guildford->Waterloo or SWindon->Paddington at first.....
                  At least nothing derailed and no one was hurt....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I'd guess it's an old Victorian line route, there are more than a few right by the sea or on the edges of steep cliffs that have been there for a long, long time.
                    Re-routing a line must be a real sod to get through planning, public enquiries and cost a truckload of cash.

Comment

Working...
                    X