• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£430K of your tax money on poor chap who lost his job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£430K of your tax money on poor chap who lost his job

Mike Baillon, policeman who received £430k payoff, admits it's 'a MASSIVE amount of money' | Mail Online

Should he have got a £million ????

or

Nothing.?

Not sure why he lost his job. The car failed to stop. Does not matter who the driver was.

I am not fan of the police. They often thing they are the law rather than upholding the law.

But in this case they got it right.

Comment

I think the bigger issue is; how can somebody become a police officer if they can’t take some light-hearted ribbing from their peers – especially over something as comical as that!? I’d like to think the average bobby on the beat was made of sterner stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
        I think the bigger issue is; how can somebody become a police officer if they can’t take some light-hearted ribbing from their peers – especially over something as comical as that!? I’d like to think the average bobby on the beat was made of sterner stuff.
        Because that's not what happened.
        He did his job. A court and an inquiry ruled he acted correctly.
        He raised a complaint over the way he was being treated, including his belief that there was an attempt at witness intimidation.
        His bosses then started threatening him. He was basically told that if he did not drop his complaints then he would be demoted.

Ignore the fact that he was a police officer. You seem to think it is right that if someone does their job properly, but raises a complaint about something that happens to them in work then their managers should be allowed to threaten them until they quit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          Because that's not what happened.
          He did his job. A court and an inquiry ruled he acted correctly.
          He raised a complaint over the way he was being treated, including his belief that there was an attempt at witness intimidation.
          His bosses then started threatening him. He was basically told that if he did not drop his complaints then he would be demoted.

Ignore the fact that he was a police officer. You seem to think it is right that if someone does their job properly, but raises a complaint about something that happens to them in work then their managers should be allowed to threaten them until they quit?
          I don't disagree with his payout - I do disagree with:

Mr Baillon told the tribunal his locker was defaced and he became a ‘laughing stock’ before taking sick leave and complaining to Gwent Police Authority.
          Sick leave because people are laughing at you. Oh do behave.

Comment

Get a grip - it's one thing to fall over and be laughed at in the street, but going to work every day to simply be abused and mocked by your colleagues is not a nice way to live your life. It could rapidly lead to depression in almost anyone - bullying isn't funny.

Comment

I don't disagree with his payout - I do disagree with:

That and his wife having a miscarriage, which he believes is due to stress caused after the video of him was publicly circulated and used to ridicule him. Of course, I'm not suggesting that the media would put a slant on their reports in order to generate a particular view of the facts. But you do seem to have swallowed what they say as the being the complete facts.

Comment

Stupid amount. Enough to annoy everyone but not enough for him to stop working and fook off somewhere that he can't do any harm.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                  That and his wife having a miscarriage, which he believes is due to stress caused after the video of him was publicly circulated and used to ridicule him. Of course, I'm not suggesting that the media would put a slant on their reports in order to generate a particular view of the facts. But you do seem to have swallowed what they say as the being the complete facts.
                  That's terrible - but I haven't seen that reported anywhere? If you act ridiculous then you must expect people to ridicule you. He got himself into a situation, through his own actions, where people then took the piss out of him and he wonders why he was demoted, or at least, in his eyes demoted? In my opinion, he was lucky to still have a job. Does he deserve the payout? Possibly, I don't argue with that rationale - but he still needs to grow a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Stupid amount. Enough to annoy everyone but not enough for him to stop working and fook off somewhere that he can't do any harm.
                    I'm sure that I read that he has started a business making wooden reindeer, or something like that, which is pretty ******* weird...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X