• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

BBC News - Nottingham's Old Angel Inn cancels 'bag a slag' event

The Old Angel Inn in Nottingham used a poster with the slogan "bag a slag, grab a hag" to promote its event.
    Ruth Greenburg, from the Nottingham Feminist Action Network, said the use of the word slag was offensive and derogatory to women.
    "What self-respecting woman is going to go along to a speed dating event that sells itself to men in that way?"
    I rather imagine that's the point...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Ruth Greenburg, 'from the Nottingham Feminist Action Network', could instead recognise that women are quite free to decide for themselves whether to go to this event or recognise themselves in this poster and get her interfering nose out of other people's business. But she won't do that, because she's from a 'Feminist Action Network'.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

a yeh baz
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Ruth Greenburg, 'from the Nottingham Feminist Action Network', could instead recognise that women are quite free to decide for themselves whether to go to this event or recognise themselves in this poster and get her interfering nose out of other people's business. But she won't do that, because she's from a 'Feminist Action Network'.
        Not sure I agree with that, loath as I am to agree with a feminist about anything. Sexism is still rife and even cultural in the UK, regardless how much we pretend otherwise.

Although probably it's an in joke taken out of context.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not sure I agree with that, loath as I am to agree with a feminist about anything. Sexism is still rife and even cultural in the UK, regardless how much we pretend otherwise.

Although probably it's an in joke taken out of context.
          It is indeed, and that's why I say women must be free to choose whether to take part in the event and therefore free to see the advert (i.e. be informed that the event is taking place). Sexism won't be stopped by what I see as an unnecessary restriction of free speech.

Comment

So someone should be able to pay to put up a poster on a billboard "gay people are disgusting" or "women are inferior"?

Comment

So someone should be able to pay to put up a poster on a billboard "gay people are disgusting" or "women are inferior"?
              I think so, yes, in terms of the law, but I also think that the consequences are for themselves. You see the trouble here is that someone might do that out of a sense of irony or they might seriously believe it; it's often difficult to judge. I sometimes hear black comedians using the N word (which I would never use), obviously in irony; it makes me feel quite uncomfortable but it's another step altogether for me to demand the council stops them. Context and content are perhaps equally important.
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 7 February 2014, 10:03. Reason: shocking typo

Comment

*sigh*

Here we go again....

It all smacks of being done in the same spirit as vicars and tarts. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking as a woman, I'm not remotely offended. In fact I'm more offended by Ruth Whatserchops being offended on my behalf.

Comment

The fact a woman doesn't find it offensive doesn't really carry any significant weight though.

And while I think it probably is silliness, there is a difference - tarts'n'vicars is making everyone look a bit daft, not "come and get a woman for sex". Easy to see why it would offend people, especially since it is gender-specific 'against' women.

Good advertising for the pub though.

Comment

The fact a woman doesn't find it offensive doesn't really carry any significant weight though.

And while I think it probably is silliness, there is a difference - tarts'n'vicars is making everyone look a bit daft, not "come and get a woman for sex". Easy to see why it would offend people, especially since it is gender-specific 'against' women.

Good advertising for the pub though.
                    I think it's also encouraging women to come and get a bloke for sex; what I actually object to is that the term 'slag' for a woman who enjoys her sexuality and enjoys experimenting with various partners is considered so offensive. No man would ever be subject to abuse for that. Depower the word. There is nothing wrong with women enjoying sex in a similar way to men. But given that the term exists, I don't see why the event's organisers should be prevented from using it in irony. I don´t approve, but I don´t want to stop them.

I aslo don't see why being 'offended' should give anyone any right to dictate what other people say. I hear people saying things I find offensive; I hear politicians in NL saying things about 'immigrants' that I find offensive and wrong, but I don't want to stop them as I'd rather try to reason at a somewhat higher level than them.

Comment

Working...
                    X