• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are all technical support staff total idiots?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all technical support staff total idiots?

<rant>

Think I will give up bothering, they seem incapable of understanding what is written, let alone finding a solution.

Latest example, I found the order details string passed through a payment provider was being truncated and left a very specific support request. Got a reply email saying there should be no documented limit on the string and they would look into it. Then a reply in poor English saying the product description (nothing whatever to do with the customised variable I referred to) had a limit of 255 chars. Previously, I have asked hosting support teams to look at a problem with delayed emails only to find they no longer worked at all and the DNS settings were all messed up.

Not just online either. My sister paid a local company last week to fix a problem with QuarkExpress freezing and they couldn't sort it. The solution (clear the appdata files) was in the 1st Google item I clicked on!

</rant>
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

You did bleed the radiators first, didn't you?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You're confused by the job title. "Technical" is just there to make customers feel more comfortable. In the context you describe, it simply means "post-sales (very little since we've already got your money, ha ha)".

Pre-sales support is far better as it is a profit centre rather than a cost centre.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is it 123 reg by any chance?
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
        X