• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear : Police cameras are institutionally racist....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear : Police cameras are institutionally racist....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...179561,00.html

"
    Cameras set racial poser on car crime
    Dipesh Gadher, Transport Correspondent

BRITAIN’S most senior policeman Sir Ian Blair is facing a race relations dilemma after the release of figures that reveal almost half the number of people arrested in relation to car crime in London are black.
    Blair, the Metropolitan police commissioner, has signed off a report by his force’s traffic unit which shows that black people account for 46% of all arrests generated by new automatic numberplate recognition (ANPR) cameras.

The technology allows car registration plates to be scanned and automatically run through databases to determine whether a vehicle is stolen, uninsured or has not had its road tax paid.

Each numberplate is also checked with the police national computer, where vehicles suspected of links to crimes such as robberies are flagged up.

The Met has deployed six mobile ANPR camera units in the capital, primarily in areas with high levels of street crime. When a suspect vehicle is identified, police officers are sent to intercept the driver.

Although ANPR technology is impartial, the disproportionate number of blacks being arrested has prompted the Met to investigate.
    "

Some class quotes in there from those who seek to deny that black people commit more crime...

"Peter Herbert, an independent member of the MPA and spokesman for the Society of Black Lawyers, said: “The Met really wants to avoid any allegation of disproportionality so they will seek to explain these figures by whatever nuance they can. The targeting of certain boroughs might be justified in terms of some crime, but it’s certainly not justified in terms of all crime.”

Is there a Society for White Lawyers? No, didn't think so.... and unfortunately his 'case' is rather undermined by the preceeding two paragraphs...

"Last week the Met attempted to explain the high number of arrests among blacks by the fact that they make up a higher proportion of the population in areas such as Southwark and Lewisham in south London, where the ANPR units operate.

However, statistics from the 2001 census show that the highest black population in any borough is no greater than about 25%. The proportion of black people across the capital as a whole is about 11%."

I think they deserve compensation. And a senile judge should proclaim police cameras are instituationally racist - maybe they are black and white rather than celebrating multi-colour diversity.
    Vieze Oude Man

Classic!

oh the lefties are going to have a fit!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how this is 'buried' by the new labour machine....

With reference to the earlier post about councils being required by law to make public the ethnicity of their staff, why is the publication of the ethnicity of criminals a taboo subject...?

Simply stated, because it proves that all the pro-immigration, lefty feel good rubbish we have been fed for the last decade is totally false.

Why do we not see figures for AIDS and Hepititis broken down by ethnic origin mentioned in the mainstream press?

And yet, airline pilots are now banned from taking toothpaste onboard their aircraft, new labour calls for retina scans, biometric testing etc.. all achieved within hours.

Dont worry though...

John Reid will sort this out. After a period of consultation.

The consultation :

"Can we legally get away with it?"

"I can't say"

"I'll take that as a yes"
      Last edited by mcquiggd; 19 August 2006, 01:29.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

We all know these speed cameras take pictures in Black and White, so rascism was built into the system.

Next.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

However, statistics from the 2001 census show that the highest black population in any borough is no greater than about 25%.
          In 2001 maybe, but that was 5 years ago. An increasing number of boroughs will have reached over 40% by now, or will do over the next couple of years.

In any case GATSOs are useless in combating drivers who do not have the car registered in their name. Same with the road tax dodgers, why fear the computer will catch you if the car isn't even registered in your name and address.
          This is why insurance is higher in East London, half the drivers don't even have it so the other half have to subsidise them.
          So if you see an untaxed Nissan Sunny report it to the council and get the car crushed before they injure someone. The computer won't "get them".

Comment

Amazing. Racist cameras. As I understand it, the software checks various data sources to see if a crime has been committed. It does not check one to determine the ethnic background of the driver.

If you have an expensive bit of kit and you are looking for cars without a tax disc/mot/insurance etc, are you going to place it in

a - a busy rich area where people drive expensive new cars (no mot)
            b - a busy poorer where the cars are generally over 3 years old.

Which area would get the most hits.

Then look at the ethnic make up of these areas. Are the poorest of the poor (more likely to drive a clapped out banger illegally) predominately from one ethnic background.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              Amazing. Racist cameras. As I understand it, the software checks various data sources to see if a crime has been committed. It does not check one to determine the ethnic background of the driver.
              That's what's missing. It should check to make sure that it's not nabbing a disproportianate number of people of one ethnic group or another.

Whatever ethnic group that might be. It would be equally unfair if it were to finger a high proportion of people of non-minority origins.

It's only fair (tm)

Comment

Quite true, but I'd go further. If one group is disproportionately high in the stats then it follows that the others can easily afford the MOT/tax so the price of these items should be set based on your ethnic group. That way some of the people who could previously just afford these costs would start going without to even up the figures. Also, those paying more could subsidise those who are currently ducking these costs.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

That's much "fairer".
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

But surely the logical conclusion for this strategy would be the creation of two distinct entities, apropos one that pays and one that doesn't?

hyperD in "Matrix, The Architect" mode
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X