• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clegg to push for £12.5k income tax threshold at Budget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clegg to push for £12.5k income tax threshold at Budget

Nick Clegg: Raising income tax threshold is key budget priority - Telegraph

The best policy this government has come up with was raising the income tax threshold.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

now they just need to get rid of tax credits!

Stop subsidising Bigco!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Stop subsidising Bigco!
        Yeah subsidise MyCo instead
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Yeah subsidise MyCo instead
          well you are more likely to pay UK tax and we can encourage you to pay a living wage without the threat of you flouncing being too much of a deficit to the UK.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            The best policy this government has come up with was raising the income tax threshold.
            Pity that it is financed by dropping the "high rate" threshold which is currently at levels that are hardly "a lot of money in the pocket".

That said it is still a correct policy to have liveable amount tax free to encourage people working.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Pity that it is financed by dropping the "high rate" threshold which is currently at levels that are hardly "a lot of money in the pocket".
              For a household with 2 working adults, the threshold does allow quite a large income. My main desire would be not to raise the threshold, but to allow unrestricted pooling on a married couple's income i.e. a joint income tax. Maybe make it opt-in, but for the many many traditional married units who believe in family finance, this would be great.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think this is right. However I also think everyone should pay some tax just so they realise just how useless governments are at spending it
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  For a household with 2 working adults, the threshold does allow quite a large income. My main desire would be not to raise the threshold, but to allow unrestricted pooling on a married couple's income i.e. a joint income tax. Maybe make it opt-in, but for the many many traditional married units who believe in family finance, this would be great.
                  Yep, it should be like household income in France - makes more sense and naturally gives incentive for people to avoid being separate.

Comment

To me, at least, the simple answer to resolving the crisis the government has found itself in, in-terms of deficits and inequitable tax rates should be resolved by removing income tax altogether up to the higher tax band. Tax should be paid on disposable income, remove VAT from what can be deemed as necessary food stuffs and increase the rate of VAT on a sliding scale based on the value of the goods being purchased, i.e. 10% <£100 50%>£5,000.

The distribution of wealth in this country will never be corrected by just adjusting income tax levels, those that have the wealth have the means to hide their income (how many of the 1% even have an income?), but it’s far harder to hide their purchases.

Companies that don’t pay any, or very little, corporation tax in this country should be given the ultimatum of pay-up or F off. They, for the most part, need the British market far more than they need their tax savings and those that do decide to cease trading in Britain, will, eventually, be replaced by British companies – the demand for products and services won’t subside just because the provider is no longer there. Whilst we have politicians with vested interests in these tax shy companies it’ll never happen though.

Comment

Working...
                    X