• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Management rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management rant

So I have one manager who tells me to leave Task A for a week to do Task B. I think Task A is much more important, but fair enough, have to respect the chain-o-command.

Then there's the senior manager who comes back off holiday and suddenly needs half of Task A doing (or at least a mock up) that day.

And I also have a project manager who doesn't understand that because I said task A was a week's work it doesn't mean that it would be finished in a week's time.

But what really annoyed me was Task C, which is the responsibility of somebody at a different site in what's technically a different company, but I have to be consulted on. The senior manager phones me up from home and wants to know why it isn't done yet, and tells me "you need to push them, don't wait for them or it'll never get done".

So this is where I say: "I'm not here to manage your company for you. I'm going home, give me a call when you've worked out the difference between your arse and your elbow and I'll come back and finish the work". Only I'm too mild mannered for that, fortunately, because I'd like to keep getting the daily rate.

But I am giving serious thought to looking for something else and walking out of this contract early. It's a pretty crap rate as well.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Best is to take a hit from senior manager, but tell your manager that you took that hit for HIM and did not mention HIS decision not to work on Task A, but this won't be possible in the future so he will have to take full responsibility for HIS decisions.

Comment

You're the one with the communication problem. Why didn't you tell the senior manager the impact and ask them to sort out priorities? FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
        You're the one with the communication problem. Why didn't you tell the senior manager the impact and ask them to sort out priorities? FFS!
        Yes you're probably right. Half the problem is that one was on holiday and then the other was on holiday (and next week both are on holiday!). It wasn't really that I was being blamed, rather I was pissed off at not being listened to in the first place. If I had sat down and explained the whole situation, he still would have asked me to do the stuff he needed in a rush anyway.

I'm never quite sure in this place whether I'm expected to be a lowly code-monkey, or a senior project manager (of a team of one). The rate certainly implies the former.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Don't let them wear you down...

Be your own Project Manager, Dear!

Create your own project(s) list and communication log. Ensure that all management get sent this every week. Within this tell them that you will of course do the work, it's up to them to provide the priorities.

Accept nothing verbally - keep all emails. Ultimately defer to the Senior Management as Alexi says.

Most is importantly, you need to change your own mindset! (Not to say that this situation is your fault, but this is the only thing within your control).

Don't get mad - get your paycheck.

Treat it as a game, watch the other managers try to figure out how to get more of your time without the others finding out.

Needless to say I was in a very similar situation a couple of weeks ago and was just about to cut this current contract early. Don't do it! Let them get rid of you, not the other way around.

Chin up!

And of course, treat it as valuable experience to put on your CV for your next PM role...

(Actually, on reflection this is if the rate's good but you don't need the hassle - if the rate's cr@p, I'd probably walk...)
          Last edited by cojak; 20 August 2006, 10:56.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Poor management

Trouble with management is like with with most other levels, people don't talk to each other full stop. Communication is by e-mails, texts, voice messages etc, never live or face to face. The slightest thing then becomes an argument and one has to take sides. Sort out a meeting and get these over-rated and over-paid managers to talk to each other and your job is half-done.

Comment

Yep, definitely agree with that. Most managers back down in face-to-face situations.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                Most managers back down in face-to-face situations.
                You mean when you licking lolly like on your picture...

Comment

Working...
                X