• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network Rail chooses Dawlish alternative route

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Rail chooses Dawlish alternative route

BBC News - Network Rail chooses Dawlish alternative route

Is it April 1st today? People only care about Cornwall as a tourist spot - and that means road links. Surely no-one will waste a penny on this nonsense?

The cheapest and easiest solution is to just repair the line via Dawlish and add extra protection from the sea erosion.
    And being cheapest and easiest, that is what will in all probability happen.
    Lovely little jaunt into exeter along that line from Teignmouth too, and cheap as chips at £4 for a day return. Plonks you off in Exeter a 5-minute walk from a giant Wetherspoons overflowing with students too. Lovely!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Oh but they will.

When they are faced with nostalgic memories of holidays past, people forget that although the price of road is roughly the same as rail, this is a result of the fact of a huge cost differential being masked by taxes and subsidies - rail travel receives huge subsidies, but road pays large taxes.

Roads are inherently much cheaper than rail.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        The cheapest and easiest solution is to just repair the line via Dawlish and add extra protection from the sea erosion.
        I hope so, it's beautiful.

BP what is your beef with trains? SAying "only tourism" is ridiculous because tourism is one of the big uses of trains!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I hope so, it's beautiful.

BP what is your beef with trains? SAying "only tourism" is ridiculous because tourism is one of the big uses of trains!

Who goes to the South West on business apart from a care home facilities manager?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Who goes to the South West on business apart from a care home facilities manager?
            Anyone doing business in the South West I imagine.

Comment

I'm sure there's more than you think. The Forces. Tourism businesses. Farming. Smugglers. Residents who travel out of the south-west to work. Shaunbhoy.

Comment

Thats half the problem. Given that there is a big ******* fibre that runs up a beach from the US then heads off to London and passes many very nice places on the way, Cornwall could be a centre of excellence for Low environmental impact home working. But instead everyone looks at the place as somewhere that you go to eat fish and chips….

Given a choice of living in Fowey and working from Home using decent collaboration tools or sitting in a crap office in Old street there is no competition. Why are we not asking the EU to bail out the Rail line? god knows what other infrastructure we have paid towards for Jonny foreigner

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    It's not the sea erosion that dun it ...

Comment

Working...
                    X