• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extra time and expense due to office move - Some questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra time and expense due to office move - Some questions

Currently based in London and client has decided to move office. My daily journey to and from the workplace now takes me an extra 30 minutes and costs a negligible amount more in travel expenses.

Fairly new to contracting so I'm looking for a little advice this. Should I demand my additional travel time to be covered in my daily rate?

Thanks

You can demand whatever you like. Whether you get it or not is another thing.

Your actual contract and how valued you are will decide how likely they would be to accommodate your request.

If you are a jobbing contractor, doing noddy business CRUD apps (like me!) you'll likely get told where to go.

If you have a niche, expensive skill, they might be quite happy and understanding to sort something out.

If the first, asking for a rate rise may not work, but this might be a really good time to ask to work from home 2 days a week.

Comment

What does your contract say about location? What does your contract say about expenses?

Mine says that I have a normal office, and they will pay expenses for travel to any other office location. I normally include my time in that as well, but that's things like travelling to London rather than Manchester; flying to Toronto for meetings etc.

For an extra 30 minutes, I'm not sure I'd be that fussed, to be honest.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by RickRow View Post
        Currently based in London and client has decided to move office. My daily journey to and from the workplace now takes me an extra 30 minutes and costs a negligible amount more in travel expenses.

Fairly new to contracting so I'm looking for a little advice this. Should I demand my additional travel time to be covered in my daily rate?

Thanks
        How long left on contract? - is it worth the fight?

was this mooted before you started?

can you use it to get a couple of days working at home (that affects no ones budget).

How bad do they need you? - how much leverage do you have?

how big are your cahunnas?

and the important questions:

Do you like films about Gladiators?

Can you Bleed a radiator?

Have you ever licked the chutney spoon and put it back?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

if they had moved closer, would you have stormed in and demanded a rate reduction ?

just suck it up big boy
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If you 'Demanded' as someone in my team

Originally posted by RickRow View Post

Thanks
            you would be given your notice, and if you asked it would be told No way

Comment

See thread tag.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

how big are your cahunnas?

and more important, how big are your cojones?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  and more important, how big are your cojones?
                  of Kanhunas

I miss this discussion
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    if they had moved closer, would you have stormed in and demanded a rate reduction ?

just suck it up big boy
                    +1 to this. You are company providing services to a client, not a permie. If you don't want to provide services to them because it is further away you walk. If you want to carry on you suck it up and carry on.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X