• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SAS Survival Handbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAS Survival Handbook

I bought this for my Kindle for this weeks work reading. Probably 50% intrigue, 50% what happens if it all goes tits up as it's looking a bit naughty over this Ukraine business.

So I sit down to read this book last night, and the following paragraph still haunts me :

But we must take into account the fact that over the last 12 years the world has become a more unstable place. The Berlin Wall came down in 1999, followed by the Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo and Sierra Leone. These events, however were overshadowed by catastrophic and tragic events of 11th September 2001, the resultant 'War on terror' and, of course the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. These global conflicts have affected everyone and one thing is for sure - our lives will never be the same again.

The instinct to survive will never change, neither will the human body's amazing abiltiy to endure. Yet we should also bear in mind, that, as we become more civilised, survival skills are being forgotten. It is doubly important, therefore, to practise our survival skills, and be prepared for anything. Survival training is the best insurance policy you can take out in an unstable world.
    So are you ready, should things go tits up? Could you survive fending for yourself, being your own doctor, nurse, dentist, navigator, cook? Do you have the mental strength?

I think if it goes up, I will not cope at all well.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

One of the staff here has a signed copy of that book on his desk.

Make of that what you will
    The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

You might regret getting the Kindle version when you're living in a cave.

Comment

Mrs MUN spent years in a scout troop and has a whole host of outdoor skills. I have several melee weapons and am highly trained in their use as well as in hand to hand combat. Although these skills are admittedly less useful when you are being shot at.

We also have prepared 'go' bags with emergency stuff in the car and house and things like torches strategically placed around the house.

Bring it on!
        Last edited by MyUserName; 11 February 2014, 11:16. Reason: Managed to miss out half a sentence!
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Mrs MUN spent years in a scout troop and has a whole host of outdoor skills. I have several melee weapons and am highly trained in their use as well as in hand to hand combat. Although these skills are admittedly less useful when you are being shot at.

We also have prepared 'go' bags with emergency stuff in the car and house and things like torches.

Bring it on!
          What are the essential items in a 'go' bag?

Gas mask?
          Hunting knife?
          Box of matches?
          18 pack of beef and onion monster munch?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            What are the essential items in a 'go' bag?

Gas mask?
            Hunting knife?
            Box of matches?
            18 pack of beef and onion monster munch?
            Translations of the phrase "I surrender, please take my wife" into every language Google translate has!
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Just put SAS on ignore list if you can't handle him.

HTH

Comment

I do have some skills that I could bring to the table - I'm mechanically competent (I even own vehicles with not a single shred of electronics, so hurrah for EMP protection), have some basic skills at arms, have spent time doing wilderness and survival training and I'm above average fitness. I can navigate fine and have done way too many first aid courses over the years. On the other hand, I'm not very good at knowing what I can and can't eat in the wild and I've only ever done basic martial arts.

In reality, if it really kicked off, I think I'd be just as screwed as everyone else and I sure as hell don't have any kind of survivalist fantasies. I do think it's important that we remember how to live, though - I sometimes find myself wondering how quickly the country would completely lose it in the event of something as simple as a near-nationwide power outage.

Comment

An EMP would demagnetise your starter motor and alternator.

Knowing what to eat in the wild is not something I know either. I am learning it though.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Knowing what to eat in the wild is not something I know either.
                    Cows are fairly recognisable. You can eat them.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X