• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankernomics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankernomics

"Barclays stoked the row over City pay on Tuesday by announcing a 32% fall in profits but a rise of 10% in the bonus pool for its 140,000 staff around the world.

Antony Jenkins, promoted to run Barclays in the wake of the £290m fine for rigging Libor, defended the decision to increase bonus payouts as he warned that between 10,000 to 12,000 jobs would be cut this year as he races to cut costs. Some 820 senior roles are to go along with 7,000 jobs in the UK."

Barclays hikes bonuses amid warning on jobs and fall in profits | Business | theguardian.com

Lower profits, but higher bonuses?

That's so bankernomics...

Dont worry Alexei. You are not paying for it. Its only printed money.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Dont worry Alexei. You are not paying for it. Its only printed money.
      As an ex-banker I am very worried... paying banks every day too by keeping there money pretty much interest free.

Comment

It's up to Barclays isn't it? Why is it any of your business?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          It's up to Barclays isn't it? Why is it any of your business?
          It's up to Barclays shareholders actually.

I am a potential shareholder, so if current shareholders want their stock to be more attractive they should deal with this crazy situation.

Barclays was bailed out by taxpayers just like all other banks via cheap BoE money and direct bailout of other banks which would have taken them down also had they been allowed to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I am a potential shareholder
            So nothing to do with you then?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              So nothing to do with you then?
              SKA Ltd is a business client of Barclays, paying them good money, so yes, it's got a lot to do with me

Comment

Me and MyCo are also customers of Barclays. Personally I'm quite pleased to be with a bank that hasn't gone bust in the recent past.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Me and MyCo are also customers of Barclays. Personally I'm quite pleased to be with a bank that hasn't gone bust in the recent past.
                  I give them that their merchant services are FAR more professional than LTSB from which we moved.

They would have gone bust if other banks were not bailed out.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    It's up to Barclays shareholders actually.

I am a potential shareholder, so if current shareholders want their stock to be more attractive they should deal with this crazy situation.

Barclays was bailed out by taxpayers just like all other banks via cheap BoE money and direct bailout of other banks which would have taken them down also had they been allowed to fall.
                    You sure? Qatari gov and the fed. Didnt think they took anything from uk government. Might have though.

Comment

Working...
                    X