• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest book in my Library

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest book in my Library

Got it yesterday...

Object-Oriented Systems Analysis And Design using UML (Bennet, McRobb and Farmer).

Fairly confident this won't make my top 3 books.

(I'm an ITIL consultant for God's Sake! They'll have me coding Java next.. See Management Rant post...)
    Last edited by cojak; 20 August 2006, 11:22.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

What's that UML thing anyway - is it really (and I mean really) necessary, or its just yet another trendy money earning thing?

Comment

Before UML, designs were written in document form. This meant that the users could sometimes understand them. UML is the IT community's move to stamp out that sort of thing.

Comment

I'm hoping to bluff my way through most of it.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

So is UML is just for Docs, or also for project management (since presumably features/requirements are all defined), sounds like this kind of thing is meant to facilitate outsaucing.

Comment

I was doing this kind of thing (system analysis, that is) 10 years ago. I'm not doing it for outsourcing reasons but I don't think UML helps OS particularly, cr@p design still makes for cr@p code.

Comment

What exactly is crap in OS designes - too slow, not flexible enough for change (ie hard coded stuff)?

Comment

Crap design is when some rapid ruskie slaphead inserts lots of assembler into the code to perform micro-optimisation.

Comment

Nobody asked for your opinion dimwit.

Comment

go here http://www.uml.org/
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X