• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is Britain flooded while Holland isn't?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Britain flooded while Holland isn't?

Firstly, this is not schadenfreude on my part; I've suffered flooding in the past and I know it's bloody awful and I know it could hit here in NL despite the defences and water management. But it's been raining a lot here as well (weather from the west hits here just after it hits Britain and meltwater from the Alps ends up here) and in theory NL is the most floodable country in Europe, perhaps even the world except for Bangladesh. So why are we OK over here, and Britain is suffering such a mess?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Their dykes are good at holding back water... Ours obviously aren't

Last edited by northernladuk; 12 February 2014, 14:55.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Firstly, this is not schadenfreude on my part; I've suffered flooding in the past and I know it's bloody awful and I know it could hit here in NL despite the defences and water management. But it's been raining a lot here as well (weather from the west hits here just after it hits Britain and meltwater from the Alps ends up here) and in theory NL is the most floodable country in Europe, perhaps even the world except for Bangladesh. So why are we OK over here, and Britain is suffering such a mess?
      Because.....

Hans Brinker Puts his Finger in the Dike - YouTube SFW :P

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Their dykes are good at holding back water... Ours obviously aren't

Wet and messy is a popular fetish here too.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Holland has been built specifically to resist flooding. It is designed to continually drain, otherwise it would be flooded every year.

Britain wasn't.

HTH.

Comment

Partly because the Government (probably mostly Labour, although the Tories have put their hands up for some of the blame) decided that dredging waterways was a waste of money and cancelled a lot of this a few years ago.

I was in Umberleigh in Devon a couple of weeks ago, where the river overflowed its banks pretty badly two years ago. (It was on TV.) But having been dredged since then, the river was still at a safe level despite all the rain and floods elsewhere.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I wondered that earlier in the week - Lack of flood defenses.

Really good (IMO) blog here

http://why-does-britain-flood-more-readily.html
              If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Normally when I watch the news this time of year, you see the flooding is in Germany, Austria and Northern Italy but so far, nothing. If you saw the flooding along the Elbe last year, blimey...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Lots of flooding in Brittany too. It doesn't make the headlines here though.

Does the lack of hills make a difference to Holland? Their defences are more to do with keeping the sea out, whereas here we have half the rainfall of southern England rapidly running downhill into the Thames.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Holland's natural state is flooded/flooding the whole time so some extra rain doesn't make that much difference?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X