• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The reason I am in Leicester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I am in Leicester

The following is absolutely true.

I went for an interview in London yesterday morning. Still waiting on feedback

After the interview I met with my old boss (who got me the interview). We had a liquid lunch.

Then I got an email basically exonerating me from a system outage last December (in Jersey). I knew the big wigs were meeting in London, so I called my old boss to tell him the news. It was well received and they invited me to join the meeting. So I climbed in a cab. As I was telling the cabby the situation he gave me a breath mint and a go on his aftershave. This was normally weird, but yesterday this was the norm.

So I get into the meeting, and all the bigwigs are there "wrapping up". I didn't agree with a lot they said so stuck my oar in, after all I'd had 5 pints of London Pride so why did I care. They loved it. I got on my soap box and told them how it should be done. All agreed, lots of smiley handshakes at the end.

Then my old boss takes me for a beer. He offers me a new contract on the spot, but I put my terms on the table. He agrees to them all, and apologises for fooking me around before.

This is all true, I swear.

Then SY02 calls. She has a flat battery and wants me to fit a new one. I tell her to go to GSF and get one. It becomes clear to me at this point that I am a) too pissed, b) never going to get home in time so I call my one remaining mate up. Not spoken to him in a while as he pissed me off the last time we spoke (remember the spreadsheet app I was writing for him)? Anyway he comes round and fits the battery for her. Nice innit?

So I go to call SY02. Phone dead. The only way I can call her is by firing up the lappy and plugging the phone in on a USB lead. So I have to find a pub to do this. 2 pints of London pride while I am orchestrating this highly complex manoeuvre.

Then I get a cab to St Pancras and board the 9:02 to somewhere oop north. Calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Beford, Wellingborough, Kettering, Market Harborough, Leicester.

Except they lied about the Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Market Harborough stops.

So that is how I ended up in Leicester and am typing this post on platform 3 of the station waiting for the train back home.

I hate Leicester, but only because I am stuck here. In fairness it's not a bad place, and their cheese is the best for cheese on toast. And they made Gary Linekar. So all in all not a bad place.

How's your past 24 hours been?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Stop trying to compete with MF. You're as believable as GricerBoy the two of you.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Except they lied about the Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Market Harborough stops.

So that is how I ended up in Leicester and am typing this post on platform 3 of the station waiting for the train back home.
      So in summary, you got pissed, imagined a few things and then fell asleep on the train home and missed your stop?

Comment

I swear, all of this happened. Seriously.

Comment

Nurse! He's doing it again!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Stop trying to compete with MF. You're as believable as GricerBoy the two of you.
            Having met Suity and been drinking with him in Munich, I'd say that story is 100% true. He really can get that lost when he's sober, never mind pissed.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Having met Suity and been drinking with him in Munich, I'd say that story is 100% true. He really can get that lost when he's sober, never mind pissed.

You drank me under the table IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Do you know who Karl Pilkington is? If so, is Suity anything like that?
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Do you know who Karl Pilkington is? If so, is Suity anything like that?
                  Exactly like that. Only southern. My wife calls me a fat Pilkington.

Comment

What is this "boss" thing, of which you speak?
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X