• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In my day...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my day...

Telegraph columnist sets off all the

Middle-aged people: try not to say these five things to us – Telegraph Blogs
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Some of that is good, some of it is tosh. There should always be tension between young people thinking they know better and having the zeal and naive passion to try, and older people with wisdom and experience.

Being aware of this is valuable.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Some of that is good, some of it is tosh. There should always be tension between young people thinking they know better and having the zeal and naive passion to try, and older people with wisdom and experience.

Being aware of this is valuable.
      Ah, a voice of wisdom!

Comment

Nonsense - I never say any of that tripe. I think people should stop moaning about the floods and be grateful for what they have. Didn't win 2 world wars by mincing around - those who died must be turning in their graves as we can't handle a bit a rain - very poor form indeed.

If you took a random sample of 100 in the world, approx. 80% don't have proper shelter, 50% access to clean water.

All this moaning - people should be grateful to be living in a great country in an open society.

With peace

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Nonsense - I never say any of that tripe. I think people should stop moaning about the floods and be grateful for what they have. Didn't we win 2 world wars by mincing around - those who died must be turning in their graves as we can't handle a bit a rain - very poor form indeed.

If you took a random sample of 100 in the world, approx. 80% don't have proper shelter, 50% access to clean water.

All this moaning - people should be grateful to be living in a great country in an open society.

With peace

Keep telling my kids this when they say 'its so unfair'.

sometimes it works.

The thing that really annoys me is the expectation of instant answers without working at it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Keep telling my kids this when they say 'its so unfair'.

sometimes it works.

The thing that really annoys me is the expectation of instant answers without working at it.
            Good work that man.

one day at a time

Comment

Oof, I'm guilty of the first, telling my niece how it was easier in some ways for my generation 30 years ago.

But in other ways things are easier these days, such as finding information of various kinds on the Internet and getting large low-interest loans (unless your credit history is dodgy).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Oof, I'm guilty of the first, telling my niece how it was easier in some ways for my generation 30 years ago.

But in other ways things are easier these days, such as finding information of various kinds on the Internet and getting large low-interest loans (unless your credit history is dodgy).
                I never say any of them, except occasionally number 2; never work for free. I genuinely think it's better for young people to take a tulipty job that pays a wage than to work for free for someone who thinks he has a divine right to employ unpaid interns (unless there's a job guarantee at the end of a short internship or the internshp is necessary for your qualifications). If you've got a good brain, you can start work stacking shelves or lugging heavy objects around and you'll still be able to make a success of yourself.

Comment

FIL retired at 53. Owns his own home, has a pension. Always moaning. Go figure.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    It annoys me too.

Especially from the Esteemed Customers.
                    Annoying the giant lizard seems like a bad plan.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X