• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Crime So Low Residents Leave Their Front Doors Open

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Crime So Low Residents Leave Their Front Doors Open

At least according to Sir Ian Blair, the PC PC and well renowned feckwit.

Met chief makes 'open door' claim

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair has said parts of London are returning to an era of neighbourliness and low crime.

He said residents in Haringey, north London, are now happy to leave their front doors open and unlocked.

Sir Ian said community-based Safer Neighbourhood Teams were making people feel as safe as they did 25 years ago.

He also likened neighbourhood police team leaders to "the sheriff" who dealt with matters in their area.

In an interview with the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies, Sir Ian told of a recent visit to Haringey during which he met two officers who had "adopted" a tower block.

He said: "How long is it since the police patrolled the corridors of a tower block?

"It's as if, when the slums they replaced were flattened and they put that up, the police stopped patrolling, so it's quite an interesting concept, and people are opening their doors, leaving their doors open now, or leaving then unlocked, certainly, in a way they haven't done for 25 years, so there's some interesting things going on."
    However, as some wag has already pointed out, leaving your front door open would invalidate your insurance in the unlikely eventuality that one of London's non-existent burglars (who presumably are now all in Haringey as I type) did decide to pay a visit.

The only people who break into flats in my mums block (where I am staying) are the police! I've been here since May and the old Bill have done it twice. The last time was accross the hall from me.
    Blair, you cannot reach me now,
    No matter how you try,
    Goodbye cruel Labour,
    Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Did they shoot anyone?

Comment

Is it as bad as that all over the Caymans?

Comment

All Blairs are morons

It must be the f'n name. What planet is he from ?

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix
            It must be the f'n name. What planet is he from ?
            Hold on, Lionel Blair was all right wasn't he? A bit gay, but not an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Is it as bad as that all over the Caymans?
              Nope, safe there. There is a little bit of a drug problem, but it has the lowest crime rate of any of the Caribbean islands.

However, my mums flat is in Bethnal Green, London!
              Blair, you cannot reach me now,
              No matter how you try,
              Goodbye cruel Labour,
              Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

They obviously leave the front door open to avoid any post legal stress from the Human Rights lawyers should the poor, opressed and misunderstood victim of the previous Tory government (aka the thief) cut his hand while breaking down the door.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Sounds like

He has being trying what Paddick's mate was smoking.

Sorry remind me about knife crime etc?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They dont need to break in. All the good stuff is in peoples pockets and hand bags. Why risk being seen with a bulky video when you can mug someone at knife point and get an ipod, digicam, mobile phone and possibly a lap top.Even crime is market driven.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X