• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency threatening legal action if I leave my role!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency threatening legal action if I leave my role!

Hello All,

I am currently in a fixed term contract which is due to end in 6 weeks time.

My current contract doesnt have a specified notice period for either the me (contractor) or the employer.

I contacted my agency today to find out what my notice period is if I wanted to leave - and I was told that as its a fixed term contract, im not allowed to leave, and if I do leave to go to another job they can pursue me legally for loss of earnings! My agency are concerned that it will make them look bad if I leave - and obviously its in their interest for me to stay.

As there is no notice period specified in my contract, I would have thought its up to me to negotiate a reasonable notice period with my employer?

How does this sound to you guys, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

Otis

Originally posted by otisb View Post
    Hello All,

I am currently in a fixed term contract which is due to end in 6 weeks time.

My current contract doesnt have a specified notice period for either the me (contractor) or the employer.

I contacted my agency today to find out what my notice period is if I wanted to leave - and I was told that as its a fixed term contract, im not allowed to leave, and if I do leave to go to another job they can pursue me legally for loss of earnings! My agency are concerned that it will make them look bad if I leave - and obviously its in their interest for me to stay.

As there is no notice period specified in my contract, I would have thought its up to me to negotiate a reasonable notice period with my employer?

How does this sound to you guys, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

Otis
    who is your employer?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Look to your contract for the defined options, which are normally under a heading call "Termination".

If there is no termination option, then you don't have a defined exit and are obliged to complete the contract, unless a material breach is effected by any/all of the parties to the contract.

They can "sue" you for damages, and anyone can "sue" one another for damages, since it is a Civil action...whether they succeed or not is the issue and, if they succeed, what chance do they stand of collecting (Pyrrhic victory)?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

You have 6 weeks left For Christ's sake. Just ride it out and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          You have 6 weeks left For Christ's sake. Just ride it out and leave.
          WHS, and never call clientco 'employer'. Think IR35.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Just ring in sick for 6 weeks

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              WHS, and never call clientco 'employer'. Think IR35.
              It's an FTC - they are the employer.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I'd just walk and forget about it. Don't worry about any threats, it's not worth it.
                one day at a time

Comment

why are you leaving?
                  If its a significant reason (ill health, family issues etc) you may get more sympathy if they sue and from the client. They may just be sabre rattling.
                  What loss will the agent experience? Are you willing to pay towards that?

6 weeks seems like a reasonable time to hang on for and avoid the stress.
                  what does the client feel about it? If there is no work to do they may want to cancel.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If it is a fixed term employment contract (which it may be, but this is completely unclear) then the notice period should be 1 week unless specified otherwise.

This may, or may not, help.

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...dterm-contract

Comment

Working...
                    X