• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

email problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email problem

Bit obscure this one but maybe somebody knows.

Details of online orders from Paypal are forwarded to me and one other person. I see them as they should be, properly formatted as description, unit price, number and total columns. The other person cannot read the details at all they are all squashed up at right into a 1 character wide space. Apart from extra blank lines in the one she forwarded to me, the sources look the same,

Any ideas why hers is unreadable? Maybe it is for some customers too.

Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Are you using the same email clients? The client makes all the difference if they're HTML emails because the rendering engines in them are usually carp.

Comment

Cheers. No, I'm using Live Mail and she's using Outlook but would have thought Paypal should send messages that should work ok with any major client. She does not seem to have problems with other messages.

Paypal has an option to send us plain text but nowt similar for customer emails that I can see.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Outlook probably uses the IE8 control to do its rendering.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Outlook probably uses the IE8 control to do its rendering.
          Have you heard of an invention called Google. It allows you to check your answer before looking like a grade A .

Outlook 2007/10/13 uses Word to render html emails....

But I can't imagine paypal sends any emails which aren't outlook compliant. The emails aren't customised in any way, are they?
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Have you heard of an invention called Google.
            No, what's Google?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Is it to do with downloading of images? What if she allows images to download for that email - does it render correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                No, what's Google?
                Suggest you use a popular search engine to find out.

Comment

xoggoth,

get the original of your email (the one with all the headers), save it in .eml extension and send it to "the other one". Tell her to open it with Outlook and see if it's still scrambled.

Alternatively tell her to send you the original (I'm not sure if that's possible in Outlook) and "diff" it.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Ta. Not customised and as said, anything Paypal sends ought to work in any major client. Maybe she just has summit screwed up as usual, will look next time there. Unfortunately, many with even less knowledge than my sister so few problems are likely to be unique.

PS Although I do seem to have unique problems with IE bloody 11 that nobody else on Google seems to have. Was trying to change the settings on my router the other day, impossible until I switched to Chrome.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X