• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the eurosceptics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the eurosceptics

For those who’ve been perhaps following my long running saga with Belgium bureaucracy I thought you might like an update.

Having decided that the easiest option was to just do the ‘basic business’ course so I can get the registration as self-employed, I've been asking anyone I come across if they've done the course and exam etc, and…surprise, surprise, not one single Belgium contractor I’ve come across seems to have had to do it.

Strange, indeed, especially since one guy told me he didn’t need to because he had a high-school diploma.

So I’ve now looked up the actual regulations, as well as asking a few Dutch speakers to confirm my interpretation of it, and what do you know. It seems that if you’re Belgian and finished high-school before 2000, all you need is the equivalent of an A level. Foreigners though, just to be fair, need a recognised degree.

Wonderful!. Discrimination?, no of course not!

PS: Fleetwood, have you got you registration yet?

My problem was that I de-registered, which makes re-registering even more complicated.
    The fact that I previously worked in Belgium as self-employed should theoretically help, but for some reason doesn't.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

So you still don't have a registration/vat no either?

Comment

Is there a term for the frustrations of dealing with bungling bureaucracy? I'm interested because I get the same way trying to deal with BY Yahoo. Not as serious as your sit of course, but it still makes me want to hit one of them.

Comment

Interesting

Same baseline as applied for contractor permits in (non-EU) Switzerland. Just to clarify, once you've got the registration certificate, is that it or is it just another hurdle ?
          Merci beaucoup.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
            Joe.

I have had a few heated arguments with my Belgian chums regarding the rampant bureaucractic hell here.

Most people here seem to have an expectation that the state needs to look after you and that this sort of thing is a good idea to stop you getting into trouble in the big grown-up business world. In practice these courses are aimed at tupperware ladies and the ilk (no kidding) so it ain't surprising that no local IT contractors here do it. Apparently this crap is even worse if you want to start a company rather than go down the Travailleur Independent route.

We are still having problems with my other half's ID card after 18 months with me and my wee boy having 5 yr cards and here effectively being a 'sans papiers'

We are now going to contact the embassy here and talk to SOLVIT who apprently can help with these disputes.

Comment

Funny ha ha

And to think that Belgium is in the centre and Brussels/Bruxelles is the capital of Euro-la-land

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                I've re-registered because I had my full Belgian papers from last time, so just told them I was back, and didn't have to produce anything else. Still waiting for VAT.....
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix
                  Same baseline as applied for contractor permits in (non-EU) Switzerland. Just to clarify, once you've got the registration certificate, is that it or is it just another hurdle ?
                  Merci beaucoup.
                  In theory, yes. But I wouldn't like to bet the house on it.

Rantor,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with the same b*llocks. I thought you had it all sorted but it seems not.

With regard the courses, I don't have a problem with the idea that everyone who wants to set up in business has to show some basic knowledge before they start, though what relevance knowing how to handle cash payments, finding the 'ideal' location for your business and such like is to IT contractors, well...

My gripe though is the fact that some Belgian apparently can say to me "yep, I was able to set up in business because I did art/economics (you name it) in high-school", while I have to provide even higher qualifications, which they can still turn down anyway.

Yep, been looking at sending the forms off to SOLVIT as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                    I've re-registered because I had my full Belgian papers from last time, so just told them I was back, and didn't have to produce anything else. Still waiting for VAT.....
                    So you've got the numéro d’entreprise/ondernemingsnummer then?, just not the VAT?

Comment

Working...
                    X