• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK Forecast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CUK Forecast

It's wet and windy.

From the beeb :

BBC News - UK floods: Fresh storm brings more rain and strong winds

Bridge Road in Chertsey looks like any other suburban street. People walking dogs, early commuters driving to work. What tells you something is wrong here though is a large grey plastic tube filled with water running the length of the street. This - it is hoped - will save 200 homes from flooding later today when predicted rainfall swells the already high and fast running Thames. Surrey is one of four counties at high risk of flooding today according to the Environment Agency.

But the temporary flood defence is controversial. It effectively cuts the street - which runs parallel to the river - in half. People living in houses between the defence and the Thames say their homes are now far more likely to flood.

'We are being sacrificed to save houses on the other side of the road,' said Sarah Ritchie whose home backs on to the river.

But the Environment Agency says Sarah's home will flood anyway. As we interviewed its spokeswoman this morning she was accosted by other concerned residents.

James Nolan also lives on the 'wrong side' of the defence. But he told us: 'I don't mind if it means the rest of Chertsey is saved.'
    He said nailing himself to a cross

Meanwhile Wales is gone.

Wales gone

After a brutal night of hefty winds, Britain woke up to discover that its western chunk had been sheered off and was now tossing in the north Atlantic, 150 miles off the coast of Iceland.

People in Herefordshire were first to realise the principality had been removed when they awoke to find themselves living on the coast.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Working...
X