• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring Job

Hello

Ive been working in IT Support for about 13 years now and seem to be stuck on my current salary which is good for the type of work I do 2nd line Desktop Support.

I did try contracting before this perm job and it did help me to get on a higher pay packet but im still doing the same type of work I was doing before I started contracting.

Don't get me wrong im good at what i do but im not really learning anything I keep seeing the same problems which I was fixing 10 years ago like when users rotate there screens ..its like there excited they done it.

It's not good a good state to be in sometimes I get angry when I have to deal with 1st line support calls. The problem been is that there is no real difference between 1st line support and 2nd line support where i work. I spend most my day sending emails asking people obvious questions like have you done this or done that it gets very boring.

I can deal with it all ok but what i can't deal with is sitting around with no work to do, support if very reactive..its not like a sales job for example.

I did get an MCP in Windows XP before but to be honest it was really hard work..I was going to do the MCP in Windows Server 2003 but the pint out for the brain dumps for it where so thick I never bothered as I was loosing the will to live haha!

I do like IT still but I don't like some of the really techy stuff and with no disrespect some people in IT are very socially inept. I want to work somewhere when you can have a bit of banter and a bit of a laugh the company i work for is ex government maybe theres one issue.

Im thinking of try to finish off my Open University Open Degree i just need 60 more points at level 3. I assume having a Degree is better than having a Microsoft Certification that will be out of date in a few years?

I know that i need to take some kind of action just realy looking to see how other people feel about working in IT support ?

oh i'm also in the process of buying a house its bit scary doing so but i don't see it as a reason for me staying in IT support for ever.
    Last edited by ukmercenary; 17 February 2014, 10:16.

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
    Hello

Ive been working in IT Support for about 13 years now and seem to be stuck on my current salary which is good for the type of work I do 2nd line Desktop Support.

I did try contracting before this perm job and it did help me to get on a higher pay packet but im still doing the same type of work I was doing before I started contracting.

Don't get me wrong im good at what i do but im not really learning anything I keep seeing the same problems which I was fixing 10 years ago like when users rotate there screens ..its like there excited they done it.

It's not good a good state to be in sometimes I get angry when I have to deal with 1st line support calls. The problem been is that there is no real difference between 1st line support and 2nd line support where i work. I spend most my day sending emails asking people obvious questions like have you done this or done that it gets very boring.

I can deal with it all ok but what i can't deal with is sitting around with no work to do, support if very reactive..its not like a sales job for example.

I did get an MCP in Windows XP before but to be honest it was really hard work..I was going to do the MCP in Windows Server 2003 but the pint out for the brain dumps for it where so thick I never bothered as I was loosing the will to live haha!

I do like IT still but I don't like some of the really techy stuff and with no disrespect some people in IT are very socially inept. I want to work somewhere when you can have a bit of banter and a bit of a laugh the company i work for is ex government maybe theres one issue.

Im thinking of try to finish off my Open University Open Degree i just need 60 more points at level 3. I assume having a Degree is better than having a Microsoft Certification that will be out of date in a few years?

I know that i need to take some kind of action just realy looking to see how other people feel about working in IT support ?
    Always best to stay calm. Blame the mind not the man/woman pushing you.

I'd go for some training; also can't you move on in current company into something different? Speak to HR.
    one day at a time

Comment

Hello

oh i'm also in the process of buying a house its bit scary doing so but i don't see it as a reason for me staying in IT support for ever.
      Have you tried valium or yoga? Or a basic English language course?

Comment

I had a similar situation a few years ago, although it was from the programming side. No scope for advancement, no new technologies etc. I got a different job with another company at the next level up i.e. a development team leader. I also got into investment banking which was great.

Can you do something similar? Rather than a complete career change just try to move up the ladder by moving to a different company?
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          I had a similar situation a few years ago, although it was from the programming side. No scope for advancement, no new technologies etc. I got a different job with another company at the next level up i.e. a development team leader. I also got into investment banking which was great.

Can you do something similar? Rather than a complete career change just try to move up the ladder by moving to a different company?
          Well I did have an interview a few years ago for a smaller mobile telecoms company which was still IT but just a bit different so maybe tat is an idea, I think I will take a look on Job Serve

Comment

Well I did have an interview a few years ago for a smaller mobile telecoms company which was still IT but just a bit different so maybe tat is an idea, I think I will take a look on Job Serve
            Now is a good time to look, new projects tend to kick-off in April. New project new team, start fresh, works for me.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Moved to Business/Contracting because I felt sorry for the OP.

(Any previous General posts forgiven...)

You may get more practical advice on this forum (excepting AP & MUN, obv...)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Moved to Business/Contracting because I felt sorry for the OP.

(Any previous General posts forgiven...)

You may get more practical advice on this forum (excepting AP & MUN, obv...)
                Ok thanks don't have to feel sorry for me boss ! just need to give me a better job

Comment

Slinky, Currently doing a 3rd line job and still get calls asking for file restores etc. Its always the same.

At least with contracting you can count the money....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Slinky, Currently doing a 3rd line job and still get calls asking for file restores etc. Its always the same.

At least with contracting you can count the money....
                    That's thing for me anyway contracting for IT support does not pay that well I mean how hard is it to do a roll out contract? the best paid contact I had when I tried it was for Mclaren but don't get me wrong its a cool building but imagine having to take phone calls from 5 PA's they would often swear and scream and shout ..no money is worth taking that s%^t

Comment

Working...
                    X