• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Google

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Google

As the (probably) most ancient CUKer, our memory has long passed into carrier pigeon mode. We still have a very good memory, it's just that it often takes about 4 hours to deliver the goods. Pub quiz? If we could get back to them when we wake up at 3pm for a pee, nobody could beat us!

Re the latest news on the new president of Italy, Mr Renzi, we thought, hmmmm!, that rings a bell, Archbishop? Opera? Eventually (only took 25 mins, fast pigeon tonight!) we managed to recall we were thinking of Rienzi, a Wagner opera. (Don't bother looking, its one of his crappiest!)

But earlier attempts to find what we were thinking of on Google were entirely thwarted because all searches were utterly drowned out by the latest items, so just pages and pages of Mr Matteo Renzi assuming the Italian presidency.

Dear Google, please add filter to search terms:

-latest or -date xx.xx.xxxx.

Ta!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    As the (probably) most ancient CUKer, our memory has long passed into carrier pigeon mode. We still have a very good memory, it's just that it often takes about 4 hours to deliver the goods. Pub quiz? If we could get back to them when we wake up at 3pm for a pee, nobody could beat us!

Re the latest news on the new president of Italy, Mr Renzi, we thought, hmmmm!, that rings a bell, Archbishop? Opera? Eventually (only took 25 mins, fast pigeon tonight!) we managed to recall we were thinking of Rienzi, a Wagner opera. (Don't bother looking, its one of his crappiest!)

But earlier attempts to find what we were thinkting of on Google were entirely thwarted because all searches were utterly drowned out by the latest items, so just pages and pages of Mr Matteo Renzi assuming the Italian presidency.

Dear Google, please add filter to search terms:

-latest or -date xx.xx.xxxx.

Ta!
    Its in Advanced filter. But you new that didn't you.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Don't think so. There is a "Find pages updated within the time that you specify", past 24 hours, past week etc but not except past 24 hours/past week etc. Or am I missing summit?
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Custom range?

Comment

On the search results page click on the "Search tools" bit and then on the "Any time" menu:

then select "Custom range…" at the bottom of the menu, and you'll get a calendar with "From" and "To" boxes:

EDIT: both "From" and "To" are optional; so, for example, typing "01/04/1999" into the "To" box will give you results from the beginning of time to 1 April 1999.
          Last edited by NickFitz; 17 February 2014, 20:47.

Comment

Searched renzi "1860..1883 year" and still got news about the bleeding Italian PM. No way Wagner could have updated his website after he died!

PS Seriously, I don't get any custom range, "past year" is the last item. Either a) yet another IE11 problem or more likely b) Google (like stupid HMRC) have not yet discovered the consequences for forms of the "Make text and other items larger or smaller" option on Win7.

PPS Oh yes! Search results page/search tools not quite the same as settings/advanced search which I was using. Cheers NF!
            Last edited by xoggoth; 17 February 2014, 21:08.
            bloggoth

Comment

Imagine how frustrating it is for us googling gricers - all we get is page after page of results featuring Ewan MacGregor.

Comment

Working...
              X