• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is this happening?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this happening?

Got the contract through for the London gig. 6 months @£X per day where X is my best rate ever. All good.

So I contacted the agency regarding the potential Jersey gig, and said it ain't happening. This was Friday morning, by email.

This afternoon I got an email from Jersey ClientCo asking me to confirm the additional clauses I want in my contract.

I contacted the Jersey agent on email asking him where the communication breakdown is. Heard nothing.

So I replied to Jersey ClientCo saying that I had taken the London gig, because they couldn't match the day rate, terms etc it was just market forces and I had to do what is best for me.

They asked me nicely if I could take a call this evening.

They now can match day rate. They now will let me run this show from home, with the occasional trip to Jersey. Every pain point I raised they had an answer for. I literally ran out of leverage.

So I have SY02 who is somewhat crestfallen that I will now potentially taking the Jersey gig, but her usual lovely supportive self. I reckon that if I am WFH more I can start earlier and finish earlier, and with the longer warmer days coming this could be good. Also the Jersey gig I am finishing something I started, something we rarely get to do as contractors so huge potential for job satisfaction.

They have right royally buggered me about to this point, so I have absolutely no reason to believe things will be different, but it was spelt out to me that I am currently a vital part of their plans.

I hate making decisions. What would the panel do?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

it's called the law of karma

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
      it's called the law of karma

Break it down for me.

Comment

The Jersey gig have reported F***ed you about at pretty much every single chance to do so. They sound to have been reasonable each time, e.g. wanting you to pay to stay over all weekend then backing down, then they play you again right away (e.g. no work after Xmas).
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Break it down for me.
          This Jersey mob sound a bunch of ******* idiots. Frankly I'd kick them in touch and just move on.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I would bin them.
            They "loved you" before, then mucked you about royally.
            "Occasional travel" is often interpreted differently when brown stuff starts hitting the fan.
            Given the amount of stakeholder work needed on the Jersey gig, how effective can you be wfh?: could just end up producing shelf ware.

It if were me, for those reasons, I'd be out

Only you can decide cause Mrs S will still love ya !
            If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

You are getting royally screwed over on the Jersey gig I reckon...London bound is the way to go...
              Join IPSE

Comment

More than one company in the mix.

Company A were were the ones who were doing the lion's share of messing about. Company B (my clientCo) were largely beholden to Company A. End ClientCo has apparently shifted the balance of power to Company B.

Because of this the story I am being sold is that things will settle down now, and is why they are now able to match my day rate.

I wish I had a crystal ball.

Comment

I would ditch the jersey gig, they are clearly a bunch of ne'er do well arse clowns.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    More than one company in the mix.

Company A were were the ones who were doing the lion's share of messing about. Company B (my clientCo) were largely beholden to Company A. End ClientCo has apparently shifted the balance of power to Company B.

Because of this the story I am being sold is that things will settle down now, and is why they are now able to match my day rate.

I wish I had a crystal ball.
                    My crystal ball sees you being bent over and taken from behind by a Bob with a picturesque view of Jersey harbour

Hth

MF
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X