• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife - taking director's loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife - taking director's loan

Hi,

I would like to take director's loan under my wife's name. She is a secretary and a shareholder in my company but not a director.

Is it still possible to take the director's loan even though she is not a director in my company?

Regards.

Originally posted by kembljoe View Post
    Hi,

I would like to take director's loan under my wife's name. She is a secretary and a shareholder in my company but not a director.

Is it still possible to take the director's loan even though she is not a director in my company?

Regards.
    No. Short and sweet but a director's loan requires being a director.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      No. Short and sweet but a director's loan requires being a director.
      I think we need a new catagory in the CUK awards for questions like this.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 18 February 2014, 00:50.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wonder what your motivation for that may be. 2 x 5k perhaps?

Of course you have a variety of ways forward.

make her a director.

Borrow the money youself.

lend her the money anyway.

all these will have different taxation consequences of course.

Comment

Is this someone's new blithering sockie?

If not, go to "Begin" and engage an Accountant
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

You could just take a loan yourself and pay interest at 4%. That would avoid any tax implications or indeed any faffing around trying to find a way around the legislation (assuming you're trying to do the 2x£5k as mentioned above!).
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

As ASB points out, I assume it is your intention to use two lots of the £5,000 limit available before having to pay interest or declare the benefit in kind? (this is changing to £10,000 from April). If so you can loan the money to your wife without her being a director.

Be aware of the implications this might have on your company's ability to pay its taxes on time and the additional taxes that may be due as a result of the loan(s).

Our advice is always to avoid directors loans where possible. If you are certain the loan can be repaid by a suitable date then it can be fine but in my experience this often proves to be difficult which can lead to a number of other issues later down the line.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                Our advice is always to avoid directors loans where possible. If you are certain the loan can be repaid by a suitable date then it can be fine but in my experience this often proves to be difficult which can lead to a number of other issues later down the line.
                This. For every person who manages to do well by cleverly playing round the rules, there's a dozen others who cock it up, forgetting to repay in time, or inadvertently breach some other threshold and end up getting in a mess.

Far too many people worry about the clever stuff when they should concentrate on the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I think we need a new catagory in the CUK awards for questions like this.
                  From HMRC website:

HM Revenue & Customs: Directors' loan accounts and Corporation Tax explained

What is a participator in a close company

HMRC defines a participator as a person who has a share or 'interest' in a company. A participator is usually a shareholder who could also be a director. A participator includes any 'associate' - for example, spouse or civil partner, business partner, relative, trustee, or a loan creditor. A participator's interest in a company can be in its capital (for example shares) and/or in the income of the company.

HMRC defines a 'close company' for Corporation Tax purposes as a company that is controlled directly or indirectly by 5 or fewer participators - or any number of participators if they are all directors.

Please note that these are not necessarily the same definitions used by other HMRC tax areas (for example VAT), other government agencies (for example Companies House), or various accounting conventions used to prepare audited accounts.

----------------------------------------------------------

You guys just know how to monkey around, nothing else. Sorry. You have no seriousness or knowledge about managing the company.

As HMRC says, there is no need to make her director. Simple, isn't it? I think you should join this new "category" (not catagory, learn english first) of CUK awards and I am sure you will lose there as well due to your silly answers.

Thanks Nixon Williams for the correct answer.
                  Last edited by kembljoe; 18 February 2014, 10:18.

Comment

Originally posted by kembljoe View Post
                    From HMRC website:

HM Revenue & Customs: Directors' loan accounts and Corporation Tax explained

What is a participator in a close company

HMRC defines a participator as a person who has a share or 'interest' in a company. A participator is usually a shareholder who could also be a director. A participator includes any 'associate' - for example, spouse or civil partner, business partner, relative, trustee, or a loan creditor. A participator's interest in a company can be in its capital (for example shares) and/or in the income of the company.

HMRC defines a 'close company' for Corporation Tax purposes as a company that is controlled directly or indirectly by 5 or fewer participators - or any number of participators if they are all directors.

Please note that these are not necessarily the same definitions used by other HMRC tax areas (for example VAT), other government agencies (for example Companies House), or various accounting conventions used to prepare audited accounts.

----------------------------------------------------------

You guys just know how to monkey around, nothing else. Sorry. You have no seriousness or knowledge about managing the company.

As HMRC says, there is no need to make her director. Simple, isn't it? I think you should join CUK awards and I am sure you will lose there as well due to your silly answers.

Thanks Nixon Williams for the correct answer.
                    The answer to whether you can give a director's loan to your wife is still a no, as she isn't a director.

That doesn't mean you cannot loan her money in another capacity. The devil is in the detail
                    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X