• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmrc Payroll software, any good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmrc Payroll software, any good?

Having an online accountant is quite expensive for me, all I need them for is end of year accounts and payroll for me. Considering going diy next year. Does anyone use the HMRC's free payroll software and isit reliable and easy for an amateur to use?

I find it complicated, but then I don't think HMRC ever make things exceptionally easy.

I can recommend Moneysoft though. Cheap as chips and very easy to use.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I use the HMRC BPT-RTI tool.

It's not the most intuitive bit of software, their menu structures are a little obtuse, but once you get the hang of it it's quick and simple to use.

As a bog standard one man ltd there is really only one number you need to enter each month, your salary, then hit the submit button.

The only thing it wont do is print payslips for you but there are plenty of templates out there to use, you jst need to fill it in and save a copy each month.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I used it up until the beginning of the current tax year, when I switched over to using FreeAgent (which I was already using for other things) as it supports RTI.

I haven't used HMRC's software since RTI came in but prior to that, it did the job. It was terribly clunky though; IIRC, it's some kind of Adobe Air/Shockwave front-end (I can't remember which) with a Python server doing the heavy lifting in the backend. Presumably in the name of cross-platform compatibility (you can find the Python source if you dig away).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          I used it up until the beginning of the current tax year, when I switched over to using FreeAgent (which I was already using for other things) as it supports RTI.

I haven't used HMRC's software since RTI came in but prior to that, it did the job. It was terribly clunky though; IIRC, it's some kind of Adobe Air/Shockwave front-end (I can't remember which) with a Python server doing the heavy lifting in the backend. Presumably in the name of cross-platform compatibility (you can find the Python source if you dig away).

Thanks for this, however I really am a social worker and a Python server doing heavy lifting in the backend sounds like a euphemism for some strange sexual practice to me

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            I find it complicated, but then I don't think HMRC ever make things exceptionally easy.

I can recommend Moneysoft though. Cheap as chips and very easy to use.
            Thanks Clare I'll take a look at Moneysoft.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
              Thanks for this, however I really am a social worker and a Python server doing heavy lifting in the backend sounds like a euphemism for some strange sexual practice to me

Thanks for making me laugh. You don't normally think about what these things sound like to non-IT people.

Comment

I like payroo and it's free

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  I use the HMRC BPT-RTI tool.

It's not the most intuitive bit of software, their menu structures are a little obtuse, but once you get the hang of it it's quick and simple to use.

As a bog standard one man ltd there is really only one number you need to enter each month, your salary, then hit the submit button.

The only thing it wont do is print payslips for you but there are plenty of templates out there to use, you jst need to fill it in and save a copy each month.
                  WHS - The new RTI software introduced for the current tax year isn't as intuitive as its predecessor, but it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                    Having an online accountant is quite expensive for me, all I need them for is end of year accounts and payroll for me. Considering going diy next year. Does anyone use the HMRC's free payroll software and isit reliable and easy for an amateur to use?
                    I find the HMRC Basic PAYE software very good and easy to use.

As you're considering DIY accounts, you may wish to google zedAccounts to try a free accounting package.

ZED.

Comment

Working...
                    X