• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland to be given all the powers they would get as part of a currency union anyway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland to be given all the powers they would get as part of a currency union anyway

BBC News - Scottish government to receive powers to issue finance bonds

Under the Scotland Act 2012, the Scottish government will be able to borrow up to £2.2bn for major capital projects such as transport infrastructure, hospitals and schools.

The act, which implemented many of the recommendations of the Calman Commission on Scottish Devolution, will come into force in 2015 and will allow the Scottish government to borrow through the UK's National Loans Fund and commercial banks.

In addition to the new borrowing powers, the Scottish government will also be able to set a Scottish income tax rate.
    Looks like they won't be leaving debt free after all then....
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Sneaky bar stewards. We should issue bonds in euros.

Although on a positive note seeding of power has begun. Regardless of the referendum outcome I would expect Scotland to acquire more powers.

Will Wales be issuing bonds anytime soon?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Sneaky bar stewards. We should issue bonds in euros.
      I doubt anyone is stopping you although why you'd want to take on the FX risk is beyond me
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Will Wales be issuing bonds anytime soon?
        Timothy Dalton was born in Colwyn Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by : View Post
          I doubt anyone is stopping you although why you'd want to take on the FX risk is beyond me
          Is it not the same risk in seven months time when the foreign land north of England is using a different currency?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=barrydidit;1892292]Timothy Dalton was born in Colwyn Bay.

The name's Bond, James Bond. Now shut that door open.

Comment

Is it not the same risk in seven months time when the foreign land north of England is using a different currency?
              It depends what you're using as a currency doesn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Scottish government to receive powers to issue finance bonds
                I read that as "Teenager gets given credit card with £2 billion limit by parents, told to spend wisely".

Next thing that happens is teenager maxes out credit card, defaults on payments, gets bailed out by parents and then comes grovelling to parents asking for more credit.

What happens after that depends if the parents are going to spoil the child or give them some tough love....
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  I read that as "Teenager gets given credit card with £2 billion limit by parents, told to spend wisely".

Next thing that happens is teenager maxes out credit card, defaults on payments, gets bailed out by parents and then comes grovelling to parents asking for more credit.

What happens after that depends if the parents are going to spoil the child or give them some tough love....

Yes, we'll be taking spending tips from our parents. Those pillars of fiscal righteousness. Oh je$us... must dash to the loo.

Comment

Yes, we'll be taking spending tips from our parents. Those pillars of fiscal righteousness. Oh je$us... must dash to the loo.
                    Whose that you're talking about? Scottish Gordon? Wasn't he Scottish?

I thought Scotsmen were supposed to be tight as a ducks bottom anyway. Not my experience with my Scottish friends I have to say, they aren't wasteful but they aren't tight.

Comment

Working...
                    X