• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Bob really taking the pi$$

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Bob really taking the pi$$

Following on from another thread.....

Contractor "Bob" is taking the absolute pi$$. Before it was asked what I meant by contractor "Bob". So to clarify - he is only here to do contracts for a short time before going back "home". He really doesn't seem fussed about anything, comes in at around 10am (still isn't in today), leaves at 4pm, spends the vast majority of his time on the phone. When he goes back to his desk he seems to continue having another phone call. If the clientco is getting 1 hour/day of productivity out of him then I'd be surprised.....

Now I am really not one to clock watch or bother myself with the money the client is paying out (up to £500/day for this bob paid to the agent), however we have a project to deliver and a very tight deadline. If I finish a piece then I go looking for something else to complete to get this project moving. This guy is taking the absolute pi$$$$$ and my morals don't agree with his behaviour. If the project isn't delivered on time then clientco have a serious case to blame contractors or at least one in particular....

If you have the builders around and happily pay them for doing feck all then both client and supplier deserve each other. I wouldn't blame the contractor - if's being paid for doing not much then he should up his day rate for a full day's work.

Comment

ringfence his workload, add a deadline, put it in writing to him when he fails you escalate

not your problem

next!

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        ringfence his workload, add a deadline, put it in writing to him when he fails you escalate

not your problem

next!
        <swoon>
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Jeez. Why are you worrying what someone else is going?

You're a contractor. Its bugger all to do with you what someone else is doing or his dealings with client.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

You're a contractor. Its bugger all to do with you what someone else is doing or his dealings with client.
            ++1
            one day at a time

Comment

Blame

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Following on from another thread.....

Contractor "Bob" is taking the absolute pi$$. Before it was asked what I meant by contractor "Bob". So to clarify - he is only here to do contracts for a short time before going back "home". He really doesn't seem fussed about anything, comes in at around 10am (still isn't in today), leaves at 4pm, spends the vast majority of his time on the phone. When he goes back to his desk he seems to continue having another phone call. If the clientco is getting 1 hour/day of productivity out of him then I'd be surprised.....

Now I am really not one to clock watch or bother myself with the money the client is paying out (up to £500/day for this bob paid to the agent), however we have a project to deliver and a very tight deadline. If I finish a piece then I go looking for something else to complete to get this project moving. This guy is taking the absolute pi$$$$$ and my morals don't agree with his behaviour. If the project isn't delivered on time then clientco have a serious case to blame contractors or at least one in particular....
              Sen Management wont give a monkies about 'Its not my fault it was his' you will get the same share of the blame he does. - unless you act now.

Go to the project Manager and inform about what you have seen, he is responsible for the project and will make his own mind up on the next actions. He is prob not aware and thinks he is doing a great job.

Start with a simple email to cover your back to the PM and the PM's Boss

Hi PM/PM Boss

Could we have a 10 min chat to discuss 'Bob' and his limited productivity and negitive impact on your project.

Thanks

NorthWestPerm2

but if his project will not impact you or your contract then ignore and suck it up

Comment

Totally this but I do know why he is frustrated. We have a bobette here and I honestly can't find anyone that knows what she does. I can't remember the last time she had a work related screen up so we couldn't take a guess at her role. So many people have said the same. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets less than an hour in.

I don't actually care about it as it doesn't affect me but it can be frustrating and beggar belief at times. All that said once everyone has had a quick chat about it it's forgotten. Just a talking point rather than an issue.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's quite simple really - it's a team effort to deliver this and he is doing jack all. The delivery of this project is important to my own reputation as well as me feeling duty bound to deliver it for what I am charging - I feel it is at least partly my responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    It's quite simple really - it's a team effort to deliver this and he is doing jack all. The delivery of this project is important to my own reputation as well as me feeling duty bound to deliver it for what I am charging - I feel it is at least partly my responsibility.
                    You will deliver the project, it will just take longer as you're carrying some dead wood. Dallas's advice is sound. Take it.

Then when the project delivers late, you are whiter than white. The PM gets it in the neck a bit, Bob carries on doing frak all and getting paid for it and you get an extra couple of months billable time.

It's not your problem to fix. Just turn a blind eye, keep delivering YOUR work on time and keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X