• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From bottle washer to programmer in 16 weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From bottle washer to programmer in 16 weeks

Infosys technologies claim to train programmers in 16 weeks at a new training centre in India.

"In 16 weeks they will teach you a skill that is equal to the skill of any young man or woman anywhere in the world," Indian Finance Minister Palaniappan Chidamabram.

At that rate there could be no contracting jobs left in a year, but what do you reckon? Judging by the number of numpties out there, I'd say 16 weeks was overkill!

Originally posted by WKnight
    Infosys technologies claim to train programmers in 16 weeks at a new training centre in India.

"In 16 weeks they will teach you a skill that is equal to the skill of any young man or woman anywhere in the world," Indian Finance Minister Palaniappan Chidamabram.

At that rate there could be no contracting jobs left in a year, but what do you reckon? Judging by the number of numpties out there, I'd say 16 weeks was overkill!
    There'd be lots of contracts for project managers who can bear severe headaches.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Infosys must be really good then. Where can I hire some of their graduates?

Comment

The problem with software is that (outside the industry) everyone thinks it is easy.
        Everybody expects plumbers and mechanics to be time served. There are limitations on what qualifications certain trades need to be allowed to operate.
        Lawyers and Accountants are protected by chartered status or similar.

Many people have grown up and seen wonderkind creating multi-billion pound businesses in software and so think any child can do it and therefore it must be easy and quick to learn.
        This perception is continued in management (again outside the industry) who are responsible for procuring or implementing software projects.
        Thus large sub-contract companies get away with placing low cost low skill workers on site and the customer accepts it.
        Consequently many software projects fail.

Software Engineering needs to be a recognised profession with some form of protected status being required to work on certain projects.
        The perception of Software Engineers needs to be changed.

I don't doubt that 16 weeks intensive training is enough to allow someone to step onto the ladder, but unleashing them on safety critical projects or finance sector software where mistakes can cost millions must be stopped.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Assguru has gone from serving chips to frying the burgers in 8 weeks so thats a record !

Comment

A lifetimes of experience in 16 weeks

Do you think they could do that with marriage. I mean all the good times and all the bad times before moving on, all in 16 weeks, to start over all again.
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Same process

Maybe they should extend their 'fast-track' courses to 'Learning to speak English properly' and 'Washing your armpits and applying deodorant to them' to some of these code-monkeys.

Comment

I bet they will be out of a project in less than 16 weeks

Comment

One of the NewsGroups I peruse (comp.soft-sys.sas) is full of the most basic questions from these retards....

Comment

Looks like Indians are fighting back against trend of increased salaries there - in Russia salaries for programmers increased greatly, I think now its over £1000 per month (in Moscow), and good people command £2k+: not _THAT_ far off cost of locals with higher risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X