• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone tried writing their own encylopedia?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried writing their own encylopedia?

I just found a box of old notebooks and things. It appears that at one point I gave it a pretty good go.

I have sure forgotten a lot of stuff
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I tried writing my own dictionary once. I gave up in the end as someone pointed out I'd missed the word "Contrafibularities".
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I read the dictionary at the age of ten and transcribed out all of the Greek / Roman Gods, Heroes and Mythological creatures into a special dictionary. I'd wanted to be a fantasy writer. At age 11 I was accused of plagarism at my new secondary school by my new English teacher as the story I had written to be entered into a competition was too complex / high standard for an 11 year old. I had to see the headmaster, was accused of cheating and disqualified. I'd written it myself from the point of the Greek Gods.

I never wrote anything again.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        That's a shame as you're obviously very creative
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I read the dictionary at the age of ten and transcribed out all of the Greek / Roman Gods, Heroes and Mythological creatures into a special dictionary. I'd wanted to be a fantasy writer. At age 11 I was accused of plagarism at my new secondary school by my new English teacher as the story I had written to be entered into a competition was too complex / high standard for an 11 year old. I had to see the headmaster, was accused of cheating and disqualified. I'd written it myself from the point of the Greek Gods.

You are a success then
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The first piece of English homework my daughter was given at Secondary, was to write a poem.
            It was a good poem.
            The teacher wrote in the margin, asking if she had copied it from a book.

I was furious and soon put the teacher straight.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              The first piece of English homework my daughter was given at Secondary, was to write a poem.
              It was a good poem.

It's why I don't like teachers. They're normally a bit fick.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No, but my cousin and I did open a museum in his bedroom, and wrote long information sheets about all of the exhibits - mostly stones, shells and stuff and a few dead insects, but he did have a skull which was definitely the star item. IIRC we fell out when we couldn't decide whether a silver necklace was best displayed on a brown or black background.
                Last edited by mudskipper; 23 February 2014, 17:21.

Comment

It was a good poem.
                  That happened to me at uni. I was criticised for writing in plain English and not putting enough jargon and buzzwords to sound like an academic paper.

So with the next effort I went a bit OTT with the jargon and was accused of copying from some obscure book.

Got my own back at exam time where I couldn't have copied from a book, and got good marks to boot. :
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

/pe·dan·tic [puh-dan-tik] adjective

Clearly you did...

Comment

Working...
                    X