• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online resources for learning a foreign language.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online resources for learning a foreign language.

I'm want to learn the basics of French, can anyone recommend a good online resource?

I've tried Rosetta Stone for learning Spanish and it's quite good but very expensive. I'm looking for something a little bit cheaper or even better free.

BBC Languages - Free online lessons to learn and study with

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I'm want to learn the basics of French, can anyone recommend a good online resource?

I've tried Rosetta Stone for learning Spanish and it's quite good but very expensive. I'm looking for something a little bit cheaper or even better free.
      I speak almost fluent Dutch and German and have never studied French but can understand it a bit.

If you start from scratch I'd rather use a printed grammar and a good dictionary. I'd leave online resources for when you are a bit more fluent. The BBC resources are ok for those who want to play around but not enough for a professional level.

Learning a language is a pain in the cul. Having a printed resource gives you more time to absorb the matter.

Go to your local Waterstones and choose a good grammar with exercises, avoid the easy ones and the "for Dummies". Get in the habit of studying an hour a day.

Watch online French news to get used to the sounds. You could start with the Belgian French news because it's a bit easier to understand than native French:
      http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...is/videotheque
      Last edited by petergriffin; 24 February 2014, 09:40.
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
        I speak almost fluent Dutch and German and have never studied French but can understand it a bit.

If you start from scratch I'd rather use a printed grammar and a good dictionary. I'd leave online resources for when you are a bit more fluent. The BBC resources are ok for those who want to play around but not enough for a professional level.

Learning a language is a pain in the cul. Having a printed resource gives you more time to absorb the matter.

Go to your local Waterstones and choose a good grammar with exercises, avoid the easy ones and the "for Dummies". Get in the habit of studying an hour a day.

Watch online French news to get used to the sounds. You could start with the Belgian French news because it's a bit easier to understand than native French:
        La semaine en vidéo
        Good advice, thank you.

I'm a visual person and the Rosetta stone approach is quite good for me. I was looking for something similar in that vain but free or cheaper. My French was ok once but its clear from going through the BBC Ma French course or at least the start of it that I need to start from the basics.

Comment

Probably more advanced:

Le Point du FLE - Annuaire du français langue étrangère - Apprendre le français - Learn French - Aprender francés - Französisch lernen
          Learn French at About - Free French Lessons

Generally there's oodles of resources, free and otherwise for beginners. And then once you start to get past intermediate level, it all dries up and is a struggle to find anything.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Not free, but when I was "learning" German I found a native language kids "visual dictionary" / "my first picture dictionary" book for about €5 that was much more useful than English-German dictionaries for learning vocabulary, because it was organised by topic.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I used Live Mocha to learn some basic Arabic. Seemed pretty good as it allows users to add notes to lessons as well pronunciation. Didn't get past the basics so can't say how good it is the further you get in but worth a look.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I used Live Mocha to learn some basic Arabic. Seemed pretty good as it allows users to add notes to lessons as well pronunciation. Didn't get past the basics so can't say how good it is the further you get in but worth a look.
                I've had a quick look and looks interesting though but when I try to actually start a lesson it crashes. Will try again this evening. Cheers

Comment

I've started - several times - to learn french using the Coffee Break French podcast series. I believe that they do other languages as well. Free.
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

Try using the "Duolingo" app from the Apple Store.

It's quite basic but is a perfect way to start off if your new to a language. My boy and I have used it and really rate it.

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/duolingo-learn-languages-for/id570060128?mt=8"]
                    Good things come to those who wait

Like **** ....Go out and earn it!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X