PDA

View Full Version : Linkedin - All the Agents want to be my buddies

nottoobad
24th February 2014, 15:03
I'm a naturally suspicious kinda fellow - but also probably a bit naive - why are lots of agents asking for a link to my profile? My profile is searchable anyway, and I don't seem to be getting any offers of new contracts from them, but they've obviously got something to gain. Is it good practice to accept their advances or not?

Thanks

DodgyAgent
24th February 2014, 15:04
I'm a naturally suspicious kinda fellow - but also probably a bit naive - why are lots of agents asking for a link to my profile? My profile is searchable anyway, and I don't seem to be getting any offers of new contracts from them, but they've obviously got something to gain. Is it good practice to accept their advances or not?

Thanks

They are after your links and contacts.

Ticktock
24th February 2014, 15:07
If your LinkedIn Profile is searchable, but they want a link to it, what do you think it means?

a) They want to make sure they get you and not someone else with the same name by mistake
b) They are too lazy to search, and just want a clickable link.

What they do with the the info once they find your profile is another matter.

nottoobad
24th February 2014, 15:07
I'm inclined to boot them all off! I was also thinking that'll alert them to other agents ...

DirtyDog
24th February 2014, 15:13
They either

a) want to have you in their network so that they can easily find you if they have a contract that meets your skills

b) want to look through all your contacts and previous clients so that they can get contacts who might be able to help them in the future

c) a combination of the two

I accept them all, and keep my network private.

DodgyAgent
24th February 2014, 15:17
They either

a) want to have you in their network so that they can easily find you if they have a contract that meets your skills

b) want to look through all your contacts and previous clients so that they can get contacts who might be able to help them in the future

Let me guess you have a house in Austria with a large cellar? :happy

Ticktock
24th February 2014, 15:17
They either

I have to say, I have had incoming enquiries from agents via LinkedIn, and I have never had past clients complain about being spammed by agents. Apparently this is complete opposite of what everyone else experiences. Even if an agent did find the name of an old client from my page, are they really going to say to them "I looked on Ticktock's LinkedIn profile and saw you so thought I'd coldcall you"?

So despite what everyone may say, my profile is fully open.

vwdan
24th February 2014, 15:20

It seems counter intuitive to do otherwise, to me. Unlike other social sites that I participate in, LinkedIn is meant to be an advert for me - and to fulfill that it needs to be easily searchable and accessible. I don't accept everyone who tries to connect with me, but I general work on the principal of the more the merrier. I want people to have me in their heads and know what I do.

DodgyAgent
24th February 2014, 15:29
I have to say, I have had incoming enquiries from agents via LinkedIn, and I have never had past clients complain about being spammed by agents. Apparently this is complete opposite of what everyone else experiences. Even if an agent did find the name of an old client from my page, are they really going to say to them "I looked on Ticktock's LinkedIn profile and saw you so thought I'd coldcall you"?

Clearly your clients have a lot of patience :laugh

Ticktock
24th February 2014, 15:32
It seems counter intuitive to do otherwise, to me. Unlike other social sites that I participate in, LinkedIn is meant to be an advert for me - and to fulfill that it needs to be easily searchable and accessible. I don't accept everyone who tries to connect with me, but I general work on the principal of the more the merrier. I want people to have me in their heads and know what I do.

I agree - I don't accept everyone, but if I can see a reason that it may be beneficial at any point in the future then I will. I don't accept every agent, as I get a fair number of completely random invites, but if I've spoken to the agent and think they may be viable then I'll accept them.

If an agent runs a search for a role then I want to be either at the top of the relevancy list (because I'm a direct link), or close to the top (because we're 2nd level links). At very worst, I want to be somewhere in their network, as that will raise my relevancy above the mere "everyone else".

DirtyDog
24th February 2014, 15:34
Is it just me, or are the majority of agents who cold-connect on LinkedIn young, female and quite attractive?

(The exact opposite of every agent who has actually found me work)

kal
24th February 2014, 15:36
I agree - I don't accept everyone, but if I can see a reason that it may be beneficial at any point in the future then I will. I don't accept every agent, as I get a fair number of completely random invites, but if I've spoken to the agent and think they may be viable then I'll accept them.

If an agent runs a search for a role then I want to be either at the top of the relevancy list (because I'm a direct link), or close to the top (because we're 2nd level links). At very worst, I want to be somewhere in their network, as that will raise my relevancy above the mere "everyone else".

A lot of requests I get are from new pimps, looking at the profile of one I got today shows he was working in Carphone Warehouse not long ago...

Ticktock
24th February 2014, 15:46
Is it just me, or are the majority of agents who cold-connect on LinkedIn young, female and quite attractive?

I'm doing something wrong - unfortunately I only got 1 or 2 of those, otherwise my network would be much bigger. I mostly get spotty oiks, with the occasional "I want a photo that could be useful if I join a boyband" types.

A lot of requests I get are from new pimps, looking at the profile of one I got today shows he was working in Carphone Warehouse not long ago...

The pimp who got me my first gig went on to work as a Lettings Agent. I wonder if he still wears his Dad's suit and pretends that he needs to shave every week. I guess I'll never know, since I removed him.

DirtyDog
24th February 2014, 15:59

Today's one graduated in the summer, and her previous work experience is working on the cosmetics counter at Boots.

I still would though :)

vetran
24th February 2014, 16:12
Only Agent on my linked in is the one the whole niche of the Industry uses, he is in his 50's and has been an agent for decades, his presence lends me some credibility. :grin

nottoobad
24th February 2014, 17:53
Interesting stuff. It's a good job that "our" ContractorUK profiles aren't linked to linkedin :grin I prefer to accept invitations from someone that I've at least spoken to, although if it's just a passing relationship then I'm inclined to boot them too.

Ticktock
24th February 2014, 17:56
Only Agent on my linked in is the one the whole niche of the Industry uses, he is in his 50's and has been an agent for decades, his presence lends me some credibility. :grin

Why do I get the feeling that it isn't DA?

DodgyAgent
24th February 2014, 18:01

:spank:

smatty
25th February 2014, 17:51
It's not just you, had noticed the same :smokin

I accept all requests from recruiters and even reply politely if they send me a note about a role (shocking behaviour I know). My network is closed so they can't see my contacts.

SueEllen
25th February 2014, 18:16

Least he's good at being a liar.

vetran
25th February 2014, 22:42

it Isn't, but I'd let DA in, my contacts are private doesn't do to upset the the important people.

Smartie
26th February 2014, 09:01
Be careful about who you accept on LinkedIn. It's a known vector for phishing attacks.
There's a fair bit of useful information on there that can be used against you and your clients.

One security group tested this by setting up a fake profile (young, pretty, female) on LinkedIn and sent invites to people in a targeted company.
They got some acceptances from junior employees then used networking to gain access to senior executives in the organisation.

Armed with that information (and information from other sources) they used it to target phishing attacks at the execs which were successful. It left them with access to very sensitive information and systems.

MyUserName
26th February 2014, 09:04
it Isn't, but I'd let DA in, my contacts are private doesn't do to upset the the important people.

But upsetting DA is fine

:tongue

norrahe
26th February 2014, 09:21
Be careful about who you accept on LinkedIn. It's a known vector for phishing attacks.
There's a fair bit of useful information on there that can be used against you and your clients.

One security group tested this by setting up a fake profile (young, pretty, female) on LinkedIn and sent invites to people in a targeted company.
They got some acceptances from junior employees then used networking to gain access to senior executives in the organisation.

Armed with that information (and information from other sources) they used it to target phishing attacks at the execs which were successful. It left them with access to very sensitive information and systems.

Which is why you limit access to contacts, keep the information on your profile as brief as possible, after all it's an advert not a full blown CV and also do not publish things like your date of birth, address and any other personal information that could be used in phishing.

vwdan
26th February 2014, 09:30
keep the information on your profile as brief as possible, after all it's an advert not a full blown CV

Why would you do this? Do you not consider your CV a "public document" so to speak?

Ticktock
26th February 2014, 09:40

I don't see how this is a concern for me. Yes, it may be for past clients, but not for me. There are no "junior employees" in my company for them to connect to, except myself. And if they connected to me and then tried to target the exec (also me :wave:) then I might notice. As for my past clients, I doubt they would need to look at my LinkedIn page to find details of employees at a target company, what with the fact that they can simply search for employees of that company directly.

Also, I'm not in the habit of giving sensitive information to random LinkedIn connections - in fact I rarely speak to any of them that I don't know personally. The most sensitive info they would get is my CV - but then any agent could get a copy of that if they told me they had a role going that sounded good.

smatty
26th February 2014, 12:10
Which is why you limit access to contacts, keep the information on your profile as brief as possible, after all it's an advert not a full blown CV and also do not publish things like your date of birth, address and any other personal information that could be used in phishing.
If you run a limited company then unfortunately most of that is in the public domain already. You can cover up the address by using accountants address instead or a virtual office, but director information is all on Companies House.

norrahe
26th February 2014, 12:24
Why would you do this? Do you not consider your CV a "public document" so to speak?

I don't see the point in a long winded profile. I've had lots of interest and even offers off job titles and one liners from the profile.

norrahe
26th February 2014, 12:24
If you run a limited company then unfortunately most of that is in the public domain already. You can cover up the address by using accountants address instead or a virtual office, but director information is all on Companies House.

Thankfully not so much in cloggers.

SueEllen
26th February 2014, 12:25

You can do digging on the internet about most people who have been on the electoral roll in the last 10 years and find out their date of birth.

Your main issue with digging for data is whether the person you are finding information about has anything worth stealing - with social networking it's easier to see whether there is.

Manz
26th February 2014, 13:36
I get agents adding me too even though I have no information filled in on my linkedin profile yet.

When I apply for a contract, the agent who I sent my CV to, views my profile.

jmo21
26th February 2014, 14:38

What manky mutt said!

d000hg
26th February 2014, 14:43
I'm loath to connect to people I've never even heard of. If I get requests out of the blue, I generally send a message back saying effectively "hi, who are you?"

DodgyAgent
26th February 2014, 15:34

:hug:

JRCT
26th March 2014, 15:22
If you only connect to people you already know through other routes, then what's the point of being on LinkedIn?

I have been a bit unsure about it, but at the end of the day I use it to get work. If an agent wants to connect with me, I presume they may offer me work either now or in the future. It's in their interests to do so. If they never do, then so what if we're still connected. We just don't engage until there is a potential offer.

I don't see the point in having a private network either. If everyone did that then my only connection would be my mum.

vetran
26th March 2014, 15:43
If you only connect to people you already know through other routes, then what's the point of being on LinkedIn?

I have been a bit unsure about it, but at the end of the day I use it to get work. If an agent wants to connect with me, I presume they may offer me work either now or in the future. It's in their interests to do so. If they never do, then so what if we're still connected. We just don't engage until there is a potential offer.

I don't see the point in having a private network either. If everyone did that then my only connection would be my mum.

You see shared connections, I have people on my network who have left the firm or I worked with prior to Linked in. I can see what they are up to job wise, I get updates such as X has got a job at Y so I can email them and congratulate. Previously you just lost touch until you bump into them on site or in the pub.

I need a job sometime they know I'm looking or if they have an opportunity its easy to contact me. Some of my best jobs have come from personal contacts.

Many agents ( the Brylcreme boys)just want to spam your contacts! Don't let them in.

TheFaQQer
2nd April 2014, 13:59

Today's connection request is from someone in a mini-dress, who has been a recruiter for two months (previously working in a high street fashion store), and in their education section says that they hope to leave high school in 2014.

I can't understand why agencies think that we'd be so shallow as to accept just any request, purely because the person sending the link is pretty, wears revealing clothes and is 18. It's almost as if they have some kind of stereotyped image of an IT contractor.

(Looking at the connections, there is another CUKker who has already connected to her as well :D)

Ticktock
2nd April 2014, 14:02
Today's connection request is from someone in a mini-dress, who has been a recruiter for two months (previously working in a high street fashion store), and in their education section says that they hope to leave high school in 2014.

I can't understand why agencies think that we'd be so shallow as to accept just any request, purely because the person sending the link is pretty, wears revealing clothes and is 18. It's almost as if they have some kind of stereotyped image of an IT contractor.

(Looking at the connections, there is another CUKker who has already connected to her as well :D)

Can you forward her on to me too please.

Bunk
2nd April 2014, 14:13

:emb

kal
2nd April 2014, 15:33

I got the same one! Had to look twice as that is some dress :D, rejected the invite though...
Have also had a couple from recruitment agents purporting to also being Models according to their profile?, very dodgy.

TheFaQQer
2nd April 2014, 16:03
I got the same one! Had to look twice as that is some dress :D, rejected the invite though...
Have also had a couple from recruitment agents purporting to also being Models according to their profile?, very dodgy.

Megan the model?

vetran
2nd April 2014, 16:10
18 year old, I have jumpers older than that :eek

MyUserName
2nd April 2014, 16:10

Well come on, pass it on (not the rejections, I get enough of that already)!

TheFaQQer
2nd April 2014, 16:20
Megan the model?

I've just done a reverse search for the image used in one profile picture, and found that the same person seems to be running an escort service in Australia.

Or it could just be the stock image that I've found elsewhere...

kal
2nd April 2014, 18:30
Megan the model?

Cant remember the name but the LI profile pictures were very stylised and professional looking!