• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New toy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New toy

I have finally bought the telescope:

Sky-Watcher Startravel-150 (EQ-5) Achromatic Refractor Telescope (10926/20464) - Wex Photographic

Substantially cheaper second hand obviously. I went for the refractor as although it's quite bulky the use of lenses and lack of secondary mirror means that inch for inch light gathering capacity is higher than a similar sized reflector. Being a cheaper design it will suffer from some chromatic aberration but this can be fixed fairly well with a filter so it should still be good for photography.

I have my eye on one of these on ebay as well, it'll fit straight on the same tripod / mount. So I might end up with two scopes.

Sky-Watcher Skymax-150 PRO Maksutov-Cassegrain OTA (10885) - Wex Photographic

Next step is to wait for the sky to clear
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Cloudy tonight.

Edit: just read your last sentence...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Cloudy tonight.

Edit: just read your last sentence...
      Cloudy every night

There were a few clear patches last night, I tried out the little bracket I bought to mount my cheap binos on my photo tripod and with the them held properly still you can see maybe 50x as many stars as you can with the naked eye. So given the telescope should capture about 6x as much light as the binos I'm pretty excited for when the sky does clear.

I'm currently planning a trip somewhere dark later in the year, I'm thinking somewhere with a good landscape and dark skies should make for some spectacular photos.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Does it have one of dem motor fingies wot keeps it in line?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Does it have one of dem motor fingies wot keeps it in line?
          No but you can fit one, will probably be my first upgrade along with the polar alignment scope. That should put me in a position to capture some nice images.

Interestingly the motors have rj45 ports on so I might look at building my own arduino goto controller. Someone must have done it already...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I saw stars the other night.

I walked into a door.
            You walked through a star gate, and you're back already - Good going.

I hope they weren't too hostile on the other side.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Nice looking piece of kit that. Have to just remember to tilt it to point at the sky after the neighbours have gone to sleep.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Forecast is for a clear sky later. Hopefully I can pick it up tonight....

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Forecast is for a clear sky later. Hopefully I can pick it up tonight....
                  And you can gaze at Uranus.

Thank you folks, I'm here all week.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    And you can gaze at Uranus.
                    I'm not sure you can with that scope, and Uranus is below the horizon most of the night where I am, but you can see Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. And lots of nebulas and things.

I'm a bit handicapped by only being able to look South, I'll need a much bigger garden to get a full 360 degree sky

Comment

Working...
                    X