• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pussies that go bang, birds that just blow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pussies that go bang, birds that just blow

A Rocket Cat? Early Modern Explosives Treatises at Penn | Unique at Penn

I was puzzled when a friend asked me a few weeks ago if I’d seen the “rocket cat” illustrated in a Penn manuscript which had been featured on the book blog BibliOdyssey in November. The image, from what was described as a 1584 “Feuer Buech” manuscript, appeared to show a cat and a bird propelled by rockets towards a castle.
    quite inventive.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Makes a refreshing change from launching dead cows from one's trebuchet.
    they used to use dead bodies on catapults as biological warfare.

Comment

Biological Warfare at the 1346 Siege of Caffa - Volume 8, Number 9

A principal source on the origin of the Black Death is a memoir by the Italian Gabriele de’ Mussi. This memoir has been published several times in its original Latin (2,3) and has recently been translated into English (4) (although brief passages have been previously published in translation, see reference [5]). This narrative contains some startling assertions: that the Mongol army hurled plague-infected cadavers into the besieged Crimean city of Caffa, thereby transmitting the disease to the inhabitants; and that fleeing survivors of the siege spread plague from Caffa to the Mediterranean Basin. If this account is correct, Caffa should be recognized as the site of the most spectacular incident of biological warfare ever, with the Black Death as its disastrous consequence. After analyzing these claims, I have concluded that it is plausible that the biological attack took place as described and was responsible for infecting the inhabitants of Caffa; however, the event was unimportant in the spread of the plague pandemic.
      nice

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Indeed.

Nothing quite like being hit by a bit of rotten cow to ruin your day.
        Mm. Burgers.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X