• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hang on, they want to make it LONGER?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on, they want to make it LONGER?

BBC News - Lewis Gill: Attorney general may review Bournemouth death punch sentence

I saw this in passing and initially thought "that's good, they've realised a 4 year prison sentence is too bad for punching someone in the face". Then I read it and found everyone's outraged it's such a short sentence?!

Shouldn't you be tried on the basis of your actions, not random factors outside your control? If the guy fell differently and just had a black eye, the offender would have done exactly the same thing.

Isn't this like throwing a rock off a bridge without looking - whether it hits someone is down to chance and you're equally to blame in either case?

Should be a fun discussion
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Just because he was unlucky in his choice of victim, I think this or a form of it still applies.

Eggshell skull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, you bear the consequences of your actions irrespective of the condition of the victim. It's still involuntary manslaughter at the end of the day regardless of the weak genetic make-up or exaggerated misfortune of the victim.

Comment

I must admit I thought 4 years seemed a bit harsh for a punch at first, but then he did kill someone, even if unintentionally.

I suppose it's kind of like drink driving. What would you get if you mowed someone down while pissed?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Involuntary manslaughter arises where the accused did not intend to cause death or serious injury

Unlawful act manslaughter arises when he or she intends an unlawful act that is likely to do harm to the person, and death results which was neither foreseen nor intended

There is no mandatory sentence for either.

The guidelines suggest 0-4 years imprisonment for Involuntary manslaughter, but actual sentence depends on circumstance, and previous character of the defendant.

Since there can be do doubt that he didn't “ accidentally” punch the poor bloke, I personally think he should have got more than 4 years, but I don’t think it warrants the cost of a return to court – with parole he may still end up getting out in the same amount of time.
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

How would you feel if it was a member of your family that had died?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            How would you feel if it was a member of your family that had died?
            My emotions shouldn't come into it.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I must admit I thought 4 years seemed a bit harsh for a punch at first, but then he did kill someone, even if unintentionally.

I suppose it's kind of like drink driving. What would you get if you mowed someone down while pissed?
              14 years, starting point is anything between 18months to 8 years depending on how careless and drunk you are...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

BBC News - Lee Rigby murder: Adebolajo and Adebowale face sentence

I hope the judge is lenient - it was only 1 stab wound after all.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  BBC News - Lee Rigby murder: Adebolajo and Adebowale face sentence

I hope the judge is lenient - it was only 1 stab wound after all.
                  And a decapitation. Don't forget that.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

you watched the video ? it was completely unprovoked and intended to cause serious harm, animals like that should be locked away for a very long time.

If he hadn't of killed him though he would probably have got off with a caution.

Gill was also sentenced to two three-month terms to run consecutively with the manslaughter sentence.

This was for committing the crime while on a suspended sentence for the robbery and handling offences. In mitigation, Steven Perian said: ‘He wishes he could turn back the clock and not react in the way he did.’

Mr Young, a former grammar school pupil, regular church-goer and speaker of several languages, was said to have the social skills of a 14-year-old due to his Asperger’s.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X