• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standard Life make plans to leave Scotland for England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard Life make plans to leave Scotland for England

So, in the event of independence, SL would move to England.

With 90% of accounts in England or Wales, it makes sense.

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    So, in the event of independence, SL would move to England.

With 90% of accounts in England or Wales, it makes sense.
    I read this on the Beeb this morning, I think it makes perfect sense in all fairness though I'm sure someone will be along to complain. It's basically the uncertainty of what will happen as Salmond has no real plan B otherwise I'm sure he would be assuring businesses that he has backup.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      I read this on the Beeb this morning, I think it makes perfect sense in all fairness though I'm sure someone will be along to complain. It's basically the uncertainty of what will happen as Salmond has no real plan B otherwise I'm sure he would be assuring businesses that he has backup.
      There is a certain irony here: gain independence but then have the choice of moving to the country you have just voted to split from or lose your job.

Comment

There is a certain irony here: gain independence but then have the choice of moving to the country you have just voted to split from or lose your job.
        Massively so the article stated they have around 5,000 employees doubtless to say I'm sure they'd leave a handful in Scotland maybe about a 100 or less as a token gesture.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

I thought it was fairly obvious that UK centric institutions such as Standard Life, Scottish Widows, RBS etc would want to stay in the UK in the event of a breakup.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I thought it was fairly obvious that UK centric institutions such as Standard Life, Scottish Widows, RBS etc would want to stay in the UK in the event of a breakup.
            RBS wouldn't have much choice. The others would although you could see why they would leave.

Is this part of the SNP's plan?

Comment

RBS wouldn't have much choice. The others would although you could see why they would leave.

Is this part of the SNP's plan?
              If it is, it's a right ripper of a plan

I'm sure that it hasn't been thought through properly, but I'm sure ScooterScot with his supreme knowledge of all things Scottish will be along to set us straight
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                ScooterScot with his supreme knowledge of all things Scottish will be along to set us straight

Never trust anything that wears a skirt - especially a man.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Never trust anything that wears a skirt - especially a man.
                  Aye but with him being based in Germany he's right on the pulse when it comes to it
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Now I have bothered taking a look at this vote thing I simply get more and more confused:

What exactly are the plans?
                    Scotland becomes it's own state and then:

It has it's own currency?
                    Hence any Scottish business which deals anywhere outside of Scotland has to redo all of their accounting to take into account currency exchange rates on a currency which does not exist yet - how do they know whether they will have enough money to stay profitable?

If they keep using British currency then their fiscal policies are controlled by an external provider with different vested interests, surely this cannot be the plan? Apart from anything else the UK can always use this to bring Scotland to heel if it tries anything the UK does not agree with, hardly independence - also why would the UK do this?

What happens to Scots who are not in Scotland? Are they still Scottish or are they now British?
                    If they are British what happens when they go back to Scotland, are there any restrictions?
                    If they are Scottish what happens to their passports/visas?
                    What happens to Scottish workers abroad on UK admin which is now invalid?
                    What happens to Scottish workers with security clearance in the UK? Can you have security clearance if you are not from the UK? (genuine question, I cannot remember).

Has the EU decided anything one way or another? I know various people have said this and that but has anything actually been confirmed?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X