• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the EU force you to separate rubbish into five containers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the EU force you to separate rubbish into five containers?

17 August 2013:
    Now EVERY weekly bin collection is to be axed and families made to separate rubbish into five containers | Mail Online

The decision was announced by Environment Department minister Lord de Mauley, who said that under Brussels directives, compulsory recycling systems were obligatory.
    He said that by 2015, rubbish collections for every home must comply with the European Waste Framework Directive. This demands that families sort metal, paper, plastic and glass into separate waste bins. Unsorted general rubbish goes into a fifth bin.
    27 February 2014
    Corrections and clarifications | Mail Online

An article on August 17, 2013 reported that, under the EU Waste Framework Directive, local authorities would be required to issue all householders with four separate recycling bins, and that weekly bin collections would be ‘axed’. In fact, while the Directive does enforce the separate collection of recyclates, local authorities can comply without requiring householders to use separate bins for four types of recycling, and are not barred from collecting waste weekly.
    Vote UKIP!
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

well I already have

A Black Bin for non recyclable stuff
    A green bin for garden waste
    A brown bin for food waste
    A red box for plastics and cans
    A green box for glass and cadboard
    a blue bag for paper

so I got 6

Comment

Edit: Removed, 'cos I can't read. Ironically.

Comment

I have 4 wheelie bins.

Comment

2 wheelie bins and a crate.
          1 bin for rubbish
          1 bin for cardboard, paper, metals and some plastics
          1 crate for glass.

No-one has done the "where you bin?" joke yet?

Comment

In fact, while the Directive does enforce the separate collection of recyclates, local authorities can comply without requiring householders to use separate bins for four types of recycling, and are not barred from collecting waste weekly.
            So no, the EU won't force you to use five containers but your council might.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have 5 bins.

For once, I actually think Europe is right. What concerns me is that the French, Italians, etc. will just ignore this ruling leaving the UK spending extra and so at a competitive disadvantage.

Comment

EU Troll patrol to the rescue!

Emergency, Emergency, send for .....The Troll Patrol!

EU Spends £2 Million on Trolling Online Eurosceptics - Guy Fawkes' blog
                European] Parliament’s institutional communicators must have the ability to monitor public conversation and sentiment on the ground and in real time, to understand ‘trending topics’ and have the capacity to react quickly, in a targeted and relevant manner, to join in and influence the conversation, for example, by providing facts and figures to deconstructing myths. Particular attention needs to be paid to the countries that have experienced a surge in Euroscepticism.”

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I have 5 bins.

For once, I actually think Europe is right. What concerns me is that the French, Italians, etc. will just ignore this ruling leaving the UK spending extra and so at a competitive disadvantage.
                  Actually Italy and France aren't far behind us when it comes to recycling and other Northern European countries are quite a way ahead. Given that the most recycling friendly countries are all fairly successful one might wonder if increased recycling is in fact cost effective and gives one a competitive advantage.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                    Emergency, Emergency, send for .....The Troll Patrol!

EU Spends £2 Million on Trolling Online Eurosceptics - Guy Fawkes' blog
                    The question remains. What's the rate?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X