• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banking and some other nonsense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banking and some other nonsense

Afternoon all,

just started a new contract and have been advised by my accountant it will be worthwhile me setting up a ltd company.

So i also need a business account. 30 minutes on the phone to Barclays has 'incentivised' me to look somewhere else - any recommendations?

I will also be looking for a mortgage in the coming months and see from browsing the board that Natwest are contractor friendly - what are they like as a bank?

Oh, one other thing. My initial start date was monday 10th feb. Was instructed to turn up on site at 930. DId so but my contact wasn't due to arrive till 1130 so was told to hang around the office. I heard my name mentioned in the background and introduced myself. Turns out they were surprised to see me on site as they hadn't processed any 'on-boarding', purchase orders, confidentiality docs etc. I was told to go back to my digs for the afternoon. Wasn't called back till the following Monday. Now my question is, what should i be paid for the first week?

My agency is skirting around the issue. They had specific confirmation by email from the client for me to turn up on the 10th.

And hello......

If you haven't performed any work that you can invoice then you will not be paid anything, since you haven't done anything?

You sound as though you don't have a signed contract and that your accountant doesn't have a clue...

NLUK will be here shortly so batten down the hatches 🐵
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

You ask how much to bill and you have no co account set-up ?
      (and a mortgage )

Start on the right ->

you have alot of reading to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        If you haven't performed any work that you can invoice then you will not be paid anything, since you haven't done anything?

You sound as though you don't have a signed contract and that your accountant doesn't have a clue...

NLUK will be here shortly so batten down the hatches 🐵
        My contract gives a start date of Feb 10th. Turned up on site but they were unprepared.

Comment

I call BS on this thread!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
            So i also need a business account. 30 minutes on the phone to Barclays has 'incentivised' me to look somewhere else - any recommendations?
            Santander, HSBC, Cater Allen.

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
            Now my question is, what should i be paid for the first week?
            Invoice them for every minute that you did work for the client. Make sure that the client signs a timesheet, confirming that you did the work and they are happy for the agency to invoice them for your time.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              I call BS on this thread!
              My first through was sockie as well but it's so badly researched I don't think a sockie could do it this well.

That said the first line looks highly suss.....

just started a new contract and have been advised by my accountant it will be worthwhile me setting up a ltd company.
              If you have no LTD who is the contract with?

Smells very fishy.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd go for a brolly old boy.

And a warm welcome

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Smells very fishy.
                  Yeah that is what I thought. I just cannot believe that neither the agency or the accountant would not have mentioned anything about having a Ltd or brolly.

Also, no business bank account several weeks after the contract start date?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    My first through was sockie as well but it's so badly researched I don't think a sockie could do it this well.

That said the first line looks highly suss.....

Smells very fishy.

Perhaps i should get my coat...

The contract is between my previous umbrella company and the end client. I no longer wish to use an umbrella company so am setting up a ltd company.

Comment

Working...
                    X