• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transits - kepler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transits - kepler

when you are looking for new planets, you look mainly for transits. i.e. when the planet crosses the face of its star, the star dims

so far about 1,000 exoplanets have been identified

but.. these planets are on the plane between our star and theirs

that means there must be millions of them that we cant identify by looking for the transit. and thats in the tiny little local spot we have been looking at
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Nah,I'm sure the creator was being tidy & lined everything up.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
      Nah,I'm sure the creator was being tidy & lined everything up.
      Well, sort of, yes.

Part of star and solar system creation means that, on the whole, planets will orbit roughly on a plane. So, if from our vantage point we see one planet orbiting a star then there's a good chance we're looking at it from the right angle to see more (we still might not due to size, etc).

If we see a star with no planets apparently orbiting then there's a chance that we're looking from the wrong angle, perhaps top down on the plane, so the the planets will never transit the star.

Comment

Working...
      X