• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't believe we've missed this one...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't believe we've missed this one...

Even in the DM, not a dickie bird. What's going on?

Net migration soars over 200,000 despite David Cameron's pledge

I thought this kind of story was the grist to the CUK mill! Maybe DA isn't around today

Anyway, here's the bit I'd like to chuck into the ring:

The surge was partly driven by a huge increase in the number of Romanian and Bulgarian citizens coming to Britain, which jumped 166 per cent from 9,000 to 24,000 year-on-year
    Because (even though these figures don't include post 1st Jan figures) they've all been trotting out the line that nobody turned up except that poor sod who was greeted by Keith Vaz with a Starbuck's Mocchaccino upon arrival (and subsequently disappeared off the radar).

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

I thought this kind of story was the grist to the CUK mill! Maybe DA isn't around today

Because (even though these figures don't include post 1st Jan figures) they've all been trotting out the line that nobody turned up except that poor sod who was greeted by Keith Vaz with a Starbuck's Mocchaccino upon arrival (and subsequently disappeared off the radar).
    And the other 180,000 came from where?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      And the other 180,000 came from where?
      Quite a lot from Southern Europe, apparently... Fair play to them, I say

Comment

We have, just not Daily Bigot and Likes Little Girls in Bikinis and won't Apologise for their past (*): http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1897920

(* Harmann has now apologised....

)
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          We have, just not Daily Bigot and Likes Little Girls in Bikinis and won't Apologise for their past (*): http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1897920

)
          I was tempted but Mudskipper told me off last weekend! So it was from the Beeb.

Good to hear Harman has apologised
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Does anybody believe that, if UK left the EU, there would be less immigrants? Just because the EU immigrants would have no automatic right to work, that doesn't mean that the government will not sign treaties with some 3rd world countries (India, China) to allow millions of unqualified and cheap workers.

However poor the Romanians, Bulgarians and possibly Ukrainians might be, their standard of life (in a broad sense) is several orders or magnitude higher than in some parts of Asia.

But the English peasant has been kept on booze and fags for too long to understand.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I was tempted but Mudskipper told me off last weekend! So it was from the Beeb.

Good to hear Harman has apologised
              I had no idea I was so influential!

Comment

The surge was partly driven by a huge increase in the number of Romanian and Bulgarian citizens coming to Britain, which jumped 166 per cent from 9,000 to 24,000 year-on-year
                Partly, yes, but this is rather decieving; there was actually a much larger increase in arrivals from Italy and Spain. I suppose there might have been a relatively 'huge' increase in numbers from Romania and Bulgaria, but the numbers were small anyway, so any increase can be made to appear 'huge'. Of course, it's the law of small numbers; an increase of 1 over 1 is a 100% increase. Bulgarians don't even feature in the DM's chart today.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  Does anybody believe that, if UK left the EU, there would be less immigrants? Just because the EU immigrants would have no automatic right to work, that doesn't mean that the government will not sign treaties with some 3rd world countries (India, China) to allow millions of unqualified and cheap workers.

However poor the Romanians, Bulgarians and possibly Ukrainians might be, their standard of life (in a broad sense) is several orders or magnitude higher than in some parts of Asia.

But the English peasant has been kept on booze and fags for too long to understand.
                  Firstly, fewer.

You're probably right on that one.

Mass immigration is a global phenomenon - exactly the same unprecedented influx is being experienced in all western nations.

What the driving force for that is I don't know.

On one extreme you have people saying its a ploy by global capitalists to bring us all down to a single common denominator, abolish nationhood and create a global class of serfs to exploit at their will.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the lefties who have always been obsessed with internationalism and the abolition of nation states for their own idealogical reasons.

Maybe there's no intent behind it at all though. Perhaps the world is just a smaller place these days.

Comment

Firstly, fewer.

You're probably right on that one.

Mass immigration is a global phenomenon - exactly the same unprecedented influx is being experienced in all western nations.

What the driving force for that is I don't know.

Maybe there's no intent behind it at all though. Perhaps the world is just a smaller place these days.
                    This. Don't go looking for conspiracies when basic geography and economics can explain it.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X