• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chasing the Aurora

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing the Aurora

BBC News - Northern Lights illuminate the UK

Anybody had any luck? I went out just now but, despite a clear sky, there was no sign of it

Put your hands over your eyes allowing only the tiniest of dots between fingers with which you can see a part of the sky. Keep em like this for a minute then take them away.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Should have started an "Official CUK Chasing the Aurora" thread ... but just been out in the garden in Kent and clear skies & nada
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

those photos look fantastic, but no sign of anything here in W.Manchester
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          those photos look fantastic, but no sign of anything here in W.Manchester
          What I haven't worked out is whether you only get those spectacular effects with a camera, or whether you can see that with the naked eye. (I think I mentioned the disappointment of my Icelandic aurora experience!)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            What I haven't worked out is whether you only get those spectacular effects with a camera, or whether you can see that with the naked eye. (I think I mentioned the disappointment of my Icelandic aurora experience!)
            You can see them with the naked eye. Unfortunately, yes it depends on being in the right place at the right time! I can't remember when you went to Iceland, but generally this sort of time of year is the best.

Comment

I'm told they really can look like that, but this is VERY rare. We visited Finland inside the Arctic circle and the person who owned the cabin told us he'd seen it look that amazing once in 10 years... literally horizon to horizon swirling patterns of all colours.

Even a more normal display can be seen with a full moon.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That chap should be out any time now, maybe he is already back on here posting tulip ...

Comment

Definately the naked eye. You are right to question though, because a lot of atronomy photos have the colours changed or enhanced for various reasons
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X