• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankers telling the truth shocker!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankers telling the truth shocker!!!

Swiss bankers say tax evasion was 'a business model'

"Banking group hits out at Credit Suisse chief executive after he tells US that alleged tax schemes were due to a few dishonest employees

A group representing Swiss bankers has demanded an apology from Credit Suisse boss Brady Dougan after he said the practice of helping Americans conceal their wealth was the work of a few dishonest employees.

The American-born chief executive told a US Senate subcommittee on Wednesday that he and other top managers were not aware that a small group of Credit Suisse private bankers had helped US customers evade taxes with offshore accounts. "

Swiss bankers say tax evasion was 'a business model' - Telegraph

Isn't this a country that basically tries to tax you based on its own rules wherever you go in the world if you're a US citizen? And which also has made most foreign banks very leery of touching US citizens?

And also a country completely unable to manage its finances, irrespective of how much tax it rakes in?

Good on the banksters, for once. Can't say I care very much if the US haemorrhages tax revenues, which it won't. Its preferred MO is borrow-and-print, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      Isn't this a country that basically tries to tax you based on its own rules wherever you go in the world if you're a US citizen?
      It's a country that can send 6th fleet for one of its citizens.

Comment

Isn't this a country that basically tries to tax you based on its own rules wherever you go in the world if you're a US citizen? And which also has made most foreign banks very leery of touching US citizens?

And also a country completely unable to manage its finances, irrespective of how much tax it rakes in?

Good on the banksters, for once. Can't say I care very much if the US haemorrhages tax revenues, which it won't. Its preferred MO is borrow-and-print, anyway.
        Last I heard the threshold was about $80k after which you have to pay tax to the US on your UK earnings, even if you're in your 30s and have lived in this country since you were 3 years old.

The trouble is it costs about £800 to do the stupid britishness test (or whatever it's called) so that you can ditch your US passport. And having lived here your entire life the questions are actually quite difficult as they are typically on topics no real englishman/woman gives a toss about.

Comment

Yes, I am familiar with that particular test through acquaintances. Can agree 90% of it is pointless. It's not hard to prepare for but yes, very little thought seems to have gone into it, particularly with regard to its relevance to life in Britain. The administration of the test is also piss poor. That said, I wouldn't put it past our govt to ape the methods and tactics of the US govt given time. I plan to head down to NZ in the medium term, regardless.

Comment

Yes, I am familiar with that particular test through acquaintances. Can agree 90% of it is pointless. It's not hard to prepare
            One of the questions on it was - what's the %-tage of Catholics in UK?

I think I got it wrong ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              One of the questions on it was - what's the %-tage of Catholics in UK?

I think I got it wrong ...
              Your geography aint much cop either. The yanks would have a hard job getting the sixth fleet to Swotzerland

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                And having lived here your entire life the questions are actually quite difficult as they are typically on topics no real englishman/woman gives a toss about.
                Like do you care how this country is governed?

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Your geography aint much cop either. The yanks would have a hard job getting the sixth fleet to Swotzerland

Switzerland does have a navy.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It's a country that can send 6th fleet for one of its citizens.
                  Not to Switzerland, they can't (unless they can get them down the Rhein)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                  X