• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coma woman told to find work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coma woman told to find work

BBC News - Rochdale coma woman Sheila Holt told to 'find work'

I suppose she could work for the DWP.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I suppose she could work for the DWP.
    I think she might be overqualified.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If she's in a coma, she cannot defend herself. So it was worth trying for the DWP.
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

There's plenty of people round here in comas but manage to turn up for work everyday.

Comment

A bit sad and inappropriate but if they didn't know she was in a coma then they were just following procedure.

Of course the family are blaming them for her heart attack?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This is a real problem with the DWP at the moment. You have people who are terminally ill and severely disabled, who according to DWP procedure should be exempt from the work capability assessment, being forced to fill in questionnaires and turn up for medical exams. This isn't because them DWP are following procedure, it's because DWP have ****ed up and either lost, or are unwilling to find, paperwork, so they classify people wrongly. There are even cases of people dying without receiving a penny of the (potentially thousands) in benefits they were entitled to because the DWP took months to process their claim.

I have first hand experience of this, I sent a form to one department in the DWP and another department claims they cannot possibly contact them or locate the form so I need to fax it to them. I've done that twice and they claim not to have received it both times. I'm sending it again by recorded delivery and I'm making a formal complaint as being terminally ill I don't really need the hassle, which is why I didn't bother to apply for the benefit at all until someone from DWP turned up and filled the forms in while assuring me that none of this would happen. I don't need the money and I'm quite happy to go without it if it means they will go away, but they won't even do that. It's as if their job is to harass people who really don't need it.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              A bit sad and inappropriate but if they didn't know she was in a coma then they were just following procedure.

Of course the family are blaming them for her heart attack?
              Apparently they had been told she was in a coma, though for some reason the BBC didn't bother to mention that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                This is a real problem with the DWP at the moment. You have people who are terminally ill and severely disabled, who according to DWP procedure should be exempt from the work capability assessment, being forced to fill in questionnaires and turn up for medical exams. This isn't because them DWP are following procedure, it's because DWP have ****ed up and either lost, or are unwilling to find, paperwork, so they classify people wrongly. There are even cases of people dying without receiving a penny of the (potentially thousands) in benefits they were entitled to because the DWP took months to process their claim.

I have first hand experience of this, I sent a form to one department in the DWP and another department claims they cannot possibly contact them or locate the form so I need to fax it to them. I've done that twice and they claim not to have received it both times. I'm sending it again by recorded delivery and I'm making a formal complaint as being terminally ill I don't really need the hassle, which is why I didn't bother to apply for the benefit at all until someone from DWP turned up and filled the forms in while assuring me that none of this would happen. I don't need the money and I'm quite happy to go without it if it means they will go away, but they won't even do that. It's as if their job is to harass people who really don't need it.
                There was a segment on Radio 4's PM yesterday about the screw-ups in payments to terminally-ill people. It'll be on iPlayer; it was about 45 minutes in.

Comment

so it is really bad?

lets hope they fix it quick. We need the service but not the screwups.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    so it is really bad?
                    Have you seen the film "Brazil"?

When you apply for "Employment and Support Allowance" the form runs to about 20 pages, some of which are for supplying details of other benefits that are administered by the same department using the same reference number you gave them on page one. One wonders what sort of records they are keeping.
                    Last edited by doodab; 28 February 2014, 10:19.

Comment

Working...
                    X