• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First do no women of Color

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First do no women of Color

Are Google's doodles RACIST? Campaigners call for more diversity | Mail Online

Are Google's doodles racist and sexist? Campaigners call for more diversity in search engine's choice of people
    Organisation claims it is 'uncommon for Google to celebrate women of color'
    Says Doodles have become as important as stamps for recognition of key people and events
    Google pledges to represent men and women equally in 2014
    revisionist tosh or do they have a point?

I actually always thought the Google doodles were a great idea that many times taught me something new.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oh FFS. If I was drawing people they'd all be white because I live in a society which is very un-diverse. My mental image of a generic person is a white person, just as someone in China would automatically think of a Chinese person. I wouldn't start artificially putting in black people or Asian people just to make my work more diverse.

Also, isn't Google one of the most liberal companies out there? Their workforce is massively diverse since a)they recruit on talent b)they're very young c)based where they are based, there are massive Asian and black populations.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Are Google's doodles RACIST? Campaigners call for more diversity | Mail Online

revisionist tosh or do they have a point?

I actually always thought the Google doodles were a great idea that many times taught me something new.
      Ther organisation that the DM refers to, SPARK, can be found here; The SPARKteam | SPARK Movement

As you can see, it's mostly made up of teenage idealists, but aside from that I think their argument is a bit silly and would actually damage the cause of fighting racism and sexism because it makes a very serious issues look rather ridiculous. I don't know how the Wail found this but they obviously have some serious googlists on board, searching the deepest recesses of the web for silly stuff they can use to pad out their rag with nonsense.

Indeed, revisionist tosh that wouldn't get any attention without the Wail's reactionary tosh factory.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Ther organisation that the DM refers to, SPARK, can be found here; The SPARKteam | SPARK Movement

As you can see, it's mostly made up of teenage idealists, but aside from that I think their argument is a bit silly and would actually damage the cause of fighting racism and sexism because it makes a very serious issues look rather ridiculous. I don't know how the Wail found this but they obviously have some serious googlists on board, searching the deepest recesses of the web for silly stuff they can use to pad out their rag with nonsense.

Indeed, revisionist tosh that wouldn't get any attention without the Wail's reactionary tosh factory.
        Yeah they googled it from that rag Time.

Google Doodles Show Gender and Racial Inequality Says New SPARK Report | TIME.com

Also carried by the Independent who do credit the Mail.

Comment

Spark, which describes itself as a 'girl-fueled activist movement'
          So it's going to give an even and unbiased argument then

What's with the 1% of 'Uncertain women'?

Surely when a company says....

Google pledges to represent men and women equally in 2014
          It means it is going to be biased based on the fact that these groups are not equal is size or note? It would also mean real leaders or achievers could get passed over by lesser individuals just to keep the numbers even? I ******* hate this concept with a passion. To treat them fairly would have been a more acceptable term in my book.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Google Doodles Show Gender and Racial Inequality Says New SPARK Report | TIME.com

Still very silly indeed. This kind of thing annoys me because I feel that racism and sexism are very serious issues that need to be tackled and this kind of campaign just attracts ridicule that smears everyone fighting against prejudice.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yep a bunch something

Research Blog: How Being Ogled by Men Made My Brain Freeze | SPARK Movement

OK so if you wander around in a swimsuit alone in a changing room & feel self concious its all a man's fault.

trust me if I were in a swimsuit in an all straight male environment I feel self concious. I'm unlikely to have women leer at me like the diet coke man.

Comment

Originally posted by SPARK
                We need to talk about why the numbers have been skewed for so long, and what it says about how we view history—whose achievements are important, whose achievements we celebrate, and whose achievements are erased. Google Doodles may seem lighthearted, especially when accompanied by quirky games and animation, but in reality they have emerged as a new manifestation of who we value as a society, a sign of who “matters.” Just like statues, stamps, and national holidays, you know that if someone is featured on Google’s homepage, they’ve done something important.
                If we look at recorded history in the West, which makes sense as Google is a western company, then due to historic circumstances women & "people of colour" are somewhat underrepresented in the list of historical figures. From the Greeks up until the last 200 years or so human achievement is dominated by white men with a few Arabs thrown in, even more so if you were to exclude people on the basis that being the first woman or coloured person to do X isn't really an achievement as such. Google doodles are a fairly accurate reflection of history in that regard.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Maybe I am reading this all wrong but...

According to SPARK:

We need to talk about why the numbers have been skewed for so long, and what it says about how we view history—whose achievements are important, whose achievements we celebrate, and whose achievements are erased. Google Doodles may seem lighthearted, especially when accompanied by quirky games and animation, but in reality they have emerged as a new manifestation of who we value as a society, a sign of who “matters.” Just like statues, stamps, and national holidays, you know that if someone is featured on Google’s homepage, they’ve done something important.
                  Surely that statement actually justifies that Google is doing it right??? Or am I missing a subtle argument here? Surely the whole point of them is to signify who matters?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

slightly off topic
                    but I was watching some chat show a few years back and some similar retards were slagging off a sex health video and book.
                    The feminista was looking for a fight and her first complaint was 'why are most of the women blonde?'
                    followed by
                    'Why are they all thin?'
                    'why are they all gorgeous'
                    'Why do the men always get an erection on demand?'
                    'why no frigid women'

at this point some bloke in the audience puts his hand up

'who wants to pay to see a video of fat ugly people failing to have sex?'

which was a pretty good answer I thought
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X