• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The differences between Norway and Scotland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The differences between Norway and Scotland

I heard quite a bit this week about Norway this week, and how the scots could have had a sovereign fund of x billion quid if the English hadnt nicked it all from them.
    But would the Scots want to be like the Norwegians ?

I was there a couple of years ago and it cost eight quid for a pint and every other bugger was on strike because they wanted more of that loot. The tourist industry was dead, hotels were closing and there was a run on trolls in the local open air market.
    There was an air of despondancy and everyone was sad. As we drove up the country , the sat nav kept telling us to turn right into Sweden

the sat nav wasn't far wrong
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

It's easier to understand what people say in Norway.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I heard quite a bit this week about Norway this week, and how the scots could have had a sovereign fund of x billion quid if the English hadnt nicked it all from them.
      But would the Scots want to be like the Norwegians ?

I was there a couple of years ago and it cost eight quid for a pint and every other bugger was on strike because they wanted more of that loot. The tourist industry was dead, hotels were closing and there was a run on trolls in the local open air market.
      There was an air of despondancy and everyone was sad. As we drove up the country , the sat nav kept telling us to turn right into Sweden

the sat nav wasn't far wrong
      I spent some time there in 1973 whilst on a survival course - I can't tell you more as I would have to kill you. Back then it was £3 for a pint and smokes were as expensive. Peopel used to sit in pubs drinking orange juice laced with their own booze and puffing on rollies. Cost of living has always been high there.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        Peopel used to sit in pubs drinking orange juice laced with their own booze and puffing on rollies.
        So, they were ALL students?

Comment

I spent some time there in 1973 whilst on a survival course - I can't tell you more as I would have to kill you. Back then it was £3 for a pint and smokes were as expensive. Peopel used to sit in pubs drinking orange juice laced with their own booze and puffing on rollies. Cost of living has always been high there.
          I never knew you were in the tufty club
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            It's easier to understand what people say in Norway.

To be fair anyone not from Glasgow is easy to understand.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I never knew you were in the tufty club
              My claim to fame is that I learned to ski at the same place as Chris Bonington albeit around 15 years later

Funny thing is that all the cutting edge mountaineers of the 60s and 70s including Bonington used to drive Volvos because they were safe and spend their nights 15 to a tent halfway up the Bonatti Pillar on a fag paper thin ledge

Comment

My claim to fame is that I learned to ski at the same place as Chris Bonington albeit around 15 years later

Funny thing is that all the cutting edge mountaineers of the 60s and 70s including Bonington used to drive Volvos because they were safe and spend their nights 15 to a tent halfway up the Bonatti Pillar on a fag paper thin ledge
                They had a fag-paper-thin ledge? Luxury!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I was there a couple of years ago and it cost eight quid for a pint
                  Might stop them drinking. Is it possible to do anything about them being so obese?

Comment

Can't comment on current conditions BUT in theory, stashing some of the short term bounty from oil in a sovereign fund to benefit future generations is a masterstroke.
                    Compounded up over the years, this will make the whole country immune from the financial vagaries of the global economy.
                    Takes a lot of discipline though, always people with their hands out and eventually they will vote in whoever says they will tap it and give it out...

Comment

Working...
                    X