• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Tax Stress

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Tax Stress

I bought my car 6 years ago on March 1. That means that every year I have to get the annual service, MOT, tax and insurance at this time.

Fine, except I can't get my tax disc until I've got the MOT. And when you're away from home all week it's hard fitting it in - so often I end up applying online for the tax disc and drive around with the expired one until the new one arrives.

Technically this is illegal but whther or not they would do you for it gawd only knows.

Anyhow, I thought I was going to be able to apply early this year but the garage needed some parts and it wasn't ready until today. Not having the V11 on my person (I just took the ref so I could do it online) I got OH to send me a copy so I could print it out and take it to a post office once I'd collected the MOT certificate & picked up the car.

I was determined to have a valid tax disc on March 1st!

Get tot he PO just before it's about to close acter having been stuck in traffic for ages and guess what?

Sorry we can't accept a copy

So my car will be parked all of next week in an airport carpark with an expired tax disc...

Go online fill the form in, fork out the money and the computer will say its been paid. The tax disc is just paperwork for vanity now its what the database record says that is important.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Get your MOT done a month earlier then. Simple.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-without-v11-reminder
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
          WHS.

But tax discs are about to become a thing of the past anyway aren't they?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Get an 911 in addition to your Ferrari.

Sorteeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
              yes but if I do it on, say, Jan 31st that means it will run out on 1 Feb next year doesn't it?

I want my full 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                yes but if I do it on, say, Jan 31st that means it will run out on 1 Feb next year doesn't it?

I want my full 12 months
                You get the full 12 months - the MOT due date is the later of (current date + 12 months) OR (expiry date + 12 months), assuming that the test date is later than the earliest date on the current MoT certificate.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  You get the full 12 months - the MOT due date is the later of (current date + 12 months) OR (expiry date + 12 months), assuming that the test date is later than the earliest date on the current MoT certificate.
                  The MoT form has a bit on it that should tell you the earliest you can have the thing done and preserve the existing anniversary date. Get it done as soon after that date as you can, you then fill in the online form to get your new tax disc and you never have to go near the wee-stench of pensioners in the Post Office queue ever again.

Comment

The trick is to get your MOT, tax it for 6 months, then tax it for a year. That way when the mot next expires; you have six months tax
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X