• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can 10,000 hours of practice make you an expert?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can 10,000 hours of practice make you an expert?

BBC News - Can 10,000 hours of practice make you an expert?

A much-touted theory suggests that practising any skill for 10,000 hours is sufficient to make you an expert. No innate talent? Not a problem. You just practice. But is it true?

One man who decided to test it is Dan McLaughlin, 34, a former commercial photographer from Portland, Oregon.

"The idea came in 2009. I was visiting my brother and we decided to play a par three, nine-hole course," he says. "I had never really been on a golf course and went out and shot a 57, which is horrible. It's 30 over par on an easy nine-hole course."

Far from being discouraged by his apparent lack of any natural talent for golf, Dan and his brother started talking about what it would take to become a professional golfer. Dan soon decided he wanted to try.

"I began the plan in April 2010 and I basically putted from one foot and slowly worked away from the hole," he says.

"Eighteen months into it I hit my first driver and now it's approaching four years and I'm about half way. So I'm 5,000 hours into the project. My current handicap is right at a 4.1 and the goal is to get down to a plus handicap [below zero] where I have the skill set to compete in a legitimate PGA tour event."

--------------------------------------
    Apparently MF's goal is to be a totally twuntish poster. And is 5000 hours in. I would say he is doing very well.

I'm surprised the 10000 hours you've spent wanking hasn't caused your fingers to fall off.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I hate this quote. It must have be cited in 10,000 articles every day.

It's ridiculous as in itself it takes no account of the size or difficulty of the task.

You can master wanking in about ten minutes or making a cheese sandwich in about the same.

For somethings broad like 'building a software system' you won't be an expert in the field after 10k hours as there are just too many aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
        For somethings broad like 'building a software system' you won't be an expert in the field after 10k hours as there are just too many aspects.
        Oh I don't know, read a for dummies book and write a few blog posts and you'll know it all in no time. Seems to work for a lot of people....
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

How does this deal with overlapping skills? Eg When I train with a two handed sword it has some carryover to hand and a he ones too.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

10,000 hours practice wont make him a professional golfer, a job offer will.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                Counting thread. Say no more
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I thought the point was that it takes 10,000 hours to become expert. That doesn't mean that spending 10,000 hours will make you an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    I thought the point was that it takes 10,000 hours to become expert. That doesn't mean that spending 10,000 hours will make you an expert.
                    or become a manager and you become an instant expert!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X