• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking on an X month contract when you have holidays booked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on an X month contract when you have holidays booked

I guess this is out of order?, two week holiday in 2 months already paid for - potential 5 month contract coming up.

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
    I guess this is out of order?, two week holiday in 2 months already paid for - potential 5 month contract coming up.
    You tell them and let them decide if it would be an issue. Possibly discuss project timescales and see what the impact is
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tell them about the holiday, and offer to cancel it, if client is willing, subject to client covering the cost.

Client then magically finds the holiday isn't a problem.

Comment

I take a 4 week holiday in SA every year, and have done so for the past 13 years and so far, it has never been a problem? I always inform the end-client.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

In 2 months time ? I know clients always big the job up at interview, a month later you are thinking, is that all you need me to do ?
          If the hols was in the first month, then I would be very upfront. 2 months out I would probably let them know during the honeymoon first week.
          I would under no circumstances offer to cancel and if they want to be total arses and go through the rounds of hiring someone else (who probably takes holidays too) then might be best if I don't work there.
          HTH

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
            Tell them about the holiday, and offer to cancel it, if client is willing, subject to client covering the cost.

Client then magically finds the holiday isn't a problem.
            Yeh. Also make sure you get client to pay for your nuts to be sewn back on if they do go for it when your Mrs (if existing) lops them off when you tell her theres no holiday now! :-)
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              In 2 months time ? I know clients always big the job up at interview, a month later you are thinking, is that all you need me to do ?
              If the hols was in the first month, then I would be very upfront. 2 months out I would probably let them know during the honeymoon first week.
              I would under no circumstances offer to cancel and if they want to be total arses and go through the rounds of hiring someone else (who probably takes holidays too) then might be best if I don't work there.
              HTH
              Two approaches IMHO.

1. Tell them upfront before you start. This means theres no arguing about at the time then. Potential problem with this is they might get the idea in their head that they don't want you now so you lose the gig.

2. Unless they ask don't tell them. Then when you do start mention it to them that you're away. (Note, I would only do this if holiday was a few months away not like next week). Might be pissed off. If they get funny then decide what you want to do - i.e. cancel holiday, tell client tough and can the gig if needs be.

Work to live not live to work...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Good grief, it's like amateur morning in here.

Add the two unpaid weeks to the end of the five months.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

^WHS

One three month contract I did they said they would love to renew but couldn't get the budget signed off, I then offered to do a 1 week extension based on the 5 days I'd taken off in the 3 months.

Comment

I always pre book my hols each year sometimes they will fall in a contract sometimes they won't.

I never tell the agency if I speak to them and will always mention it at the interview at the end therefore if its an issue then the don't hire me if it isn't then they do.

I would never cancel my holiday this wins everytime over a contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X