• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WD NAS MyCloud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD NAS MyCloud

Thinking of getting one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-4TB-Cloud.../dp/B00FOKN7D8

Anyone got one, or have any views?

Size/price is about right for me for the foreseeable (it'd be for back-ups, fotos, music etc), but wondered if there were any reasons for concern from any of you 'tech' experts? cheers
    Clarity is everything

I got a 2TB one just over a year ago - basically the same, but with a single drive. It's now going to have to be replaced, but only because I've run out of room on it by ripping many, many DVDs. I'm thinking of getting one of these 4TB ones. It's never given me any problems whatsoever.

Well, there was that time I knocked it off a shelf as I was rushing for the door to head to ClientCo one Monday morning; but I think that was more my fault. The fall pulled the power plug out. Plugged it back in, it started up, and it's been fine ever since. But I don't actually recommend throwing it to the ground

Comment

You don't want all the apps that a synology (for example) would offer? Or does the cloud one do all that?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You don't want all the apps that a synology (for example) would offer? Or does the cloud one do all that?
        Errr, dunno, tbh.

The 4tb MyCloud seems (on the face of it) to be simple enough/adequate for what I want...maybe without the bells/whistles/apps of the Synology. Having just looked at that one (Synology) it seems I'd need to buy the casing then add drives to it, whereas with the MyCloud it comes c/w drive, although it's just one huge drive, as far as I can make out.

I just need to be able to access it via downstairs laptops, and (in extreme emergencies) while working away from home. Have also just checked, & yes there's an android MyCloud app for this specific function so I could access it via my s/phone. Thanks for the input though; food for thought...
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Errr, dunno, tbh.

The 4tb MyCloud seems (on the face of it) to be simple enough/adequate for what I want...maybe without the bells/whistles/apps of the Synology. Having just looked at that one (Synology) it seems I'd need to buy the casing then add drives to it, whereas with the MyCloud it comes c/w drive, although it's just one huge drive, as far as I can make out.

I just need to be able to access it via downstairs laptops, and (in extreme emergencies) while working away from home. Have also just checked, & yes there's an android MyCloud app for this specific function so I could access it via my s/phone. Thanks for the input though; food for thought...
          Read some not so great reviews about the WD NAS so I went with a Synology 213j NAS and two WD Red 3TB Hard Drives in Raid 0. Effectively this gives me a 2.7TB capacity with all files mirrored between both hard-drives (i.e. continual back-up). Also connected the NAS up to my router and after a bit of fiddling I have access to my NAS from anywhere in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ice View Post
            - CLIP - ...two WD Red 3TB Hard Drives in Raid 0. Effectively this gives me a 2.7TB capacity with all files mirrored between both hard-drives (i.e. continual back-up)...
            Sorry, but this is not a backup. It is merely a mirrored pair. It offers redundancy in the case of single spindle failure and nothing else.

I am beginning to sound like NLUK....Help
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I have a WD NAS (2x3Tb) and whilst it streams great to TV, my Win7 box struggles to connect as a share. Linux & Mac are no probs but Win7 is flaky. I'm sure I could fix this but haven't bothered since I just filezilla everything to it.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Sorry, but this is not a backup. It is merely a mirrored pair. It offers redundancy in the case of single spindle failure and nothing else.
                Particularly since the filing system doesn't do any checking to avoid bit corruption
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  Particularly since the filing system doesn't do any checking to avoid bit corruption
                  And, accidentally delete a file and where's the backup then?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ice View Post
                    Also connected the NAS up to my router and after a bit of fiddling I have access to my NAS from anywhere in the world
                    I thought that was the general idea? How else would one of these be connected?
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                    X